Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New shower install - worried!!

• 09-10-2022 5:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

had a new upstairs shower installed a while back and all good so far.

As the new shower tray is now at the same level as the floor tiles, I'm wondering how I would go about cleaning/repairing/unblocking the U-bend if and when the time comes.

Seems to me the only logical way would be cut a hole in the ceiling below 😯

Would appreciate any thoughts or advice. Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Is it possible to take of the drain cover from the shower tray and lift out a little reservoir type cup and clean it that way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Not sure to be honest, as said all good with it so far.

I guess my biggest concern would be a leaking joint.

On the older style shower, I could remove the skirting and get reasonable access to the U-bend (between the wooden support beams)

This doesn't seem possible now topside.

I'll check the drain cover as you suggested and see if it's removable, thanks for the input 👍️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭phormium

I have never in all my years of having showers both upstairs and downstairs taken out the yokie to see if it needs cleaning or gone looking for a u bend under it, is this something that is a necessary maintenance? Just wondering if there are all sorts of wonders in there waiting for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sonoferic

Hopefully your installer will have used solvent weld pipes to reduce any likelihood of leaks in the future. You’re right though, when the floor is tiled it’s often easier to go in from below to sort or investigate leaks and just make good the plaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I know leaks are possible but I'd suggest they are extremely unlikely and if they do happen that's what the insurance is for.

As for general maintenance, there's usually a trap in the shower itself and failing that showers tend not to get blocked as much as sinks once you don't put anything down it that shouldn't be down it

• Advertisement
Advertisement