Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am I the asshole? Missus has heater on in the bathroom at 23 degrees outdoor temperature

• 10-10-2022 12:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

We live in the south of France. The missus has an electric/oil heater on in the bathroom and the indoor temperature is 23 degrees (without the heater) (also the outdoor temperature here).

I feel that it's an opulently luxurious use of energy that can't be condoned, never mind the current energy crisis.

I grew up in Ireland, wrapped in blankets and sitting on top of the fire every winter... she grew up on a tropical island. She's thinks it's not healthy and the towels don't dry. I think she needs perspective.

I think divorce is the only reasonable way out of this.

What do you all think?

Post edited by HildaOgdenx on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

It's all relative I guess. I can't imagine having a heater of any kind on unless it's under 10 degrees, but if I grew up in a desert country where it's often 40c then 23 degrees would feel cool.

However, I can't imagine towels are not drying at 23 degrees unless it's extremely humid, which afaik, the South of France is not known for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I have constant 23 inside without heating turned on here in Germany, but the towel racks don't dry the towels at that temperature, so the heating is turned on in the bathrooms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭POBox19

Invest in a dehumidifier. The towels will dry, bathroom will be dryer and warmer.

• Administrators Posts: 14,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

If you're serious about divorce being the only option then yes, clearly you're the asshole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Don't "fuses" ever blow on electrical appliances in France?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Who pays the bills?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭skallywag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,170 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Buy her a washing line as a present - now she can dry the towels outside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,445 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

23 degrees from a heat source is not natural, not good for your lungs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Does Ireland not count as a tropical island? The French seem to think it's as much of a tax haven as the Caymans and other such exotic locations.

In any case, I grew up there, currently live a few hundred km north of you (probably) and my towels dried fine yesterday in mid-teen temps and despite the imminent threat of rain, so yeah: I'd say divorce is the only realistic solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Running one of those can cost more than you think at Electric Ireland prices (no idea what they are in France) you could be spending €1.50 - €2 a day keeping one on all the time.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭TheadoreT

Tbf temperature genuinely is the biggest relationship issue for me too living in a warm country dating someone from there. Your bodies are just operating at a completely different levels based on what you were used to growing up. One persons comfortable is another's struggle.

I guess like anything compromise is important. Surely there's some outdoor space to dry the towels, garden or balcony?? Agree the bathroom heater sounds a bit unnecessary, excluding cold winter days.

On the constant 23 I think that's grand for most of the day, I'd have it lower for sex and sleep, colder(about 18°) is proven to be better for quality of sleep, so if she wants to banket up to warm up let her but I wouldn't tossing and turning at 23 every night.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Mod Note - Thread closed, it has run its course.

Posters are asked to bear in mind that their posts in PI should contain constructive advice for the OP.

Thanks

Hilda

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement