Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Assistance vs AA Assistance?

Options
  • 10-10-2022 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi

We recently took ownership of a new ID-3 and it seems to come with VW Assistance for 3 years. I am having trouble finding out exactly what it covers. We already have AA Membership, so wondering if we should cancel the AA Membership or do they do different things?

A bit clueless on cars, any advice would be very welcome

Thanks

Conor F

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Doesn't VW Assistance come with your new car by default as part of warranty? You're not paying a monthly fee.

If its a new car and you breakdown, they'll tow the car to a VW dealer and usually give you a courtesy car similar to your own. If its not under warranty, the hire stops and you can pay for the work or take it away elsewhere I suppose.

AA depending on membership gives you 48hrs in a rental, golf sized car, towed to a local garage. I think you may have an option to bring it to your own garage of choice too.

Cancel it until the 3 years are up with VW assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭zg3409

Ring AA and ask them why you should not leave and they will explain differences. The AA is often a rip.off and they increase the price unless you haggle. Everything is extra and you are still limited on the number of free callouts per year.

I suggest cancelling aa and putting money into a set of jumper cables or a lithium small jump pack "yes EVs need to be jump started as the 12 volt can go flat" and common fixes like having a spare wheel, jack and spanners and things like tyre repair kit, electric car backups like a granny cable and 15 metre waterproof extension lead etc. This way it's less likely you will.be stuck for hours waiting on a tow truck.

I know Hyundai uses AA and outside cities AA uses random locals.

According to this it's AA in UK

Advertisement