Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two Things to Consider Before Starting a Programme

Options
  • 10-10-2022 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭

If you're deciding on a training plan to follow, there are two BIG things I've come to realise that you really need to base your decision off:

1. What you need to do

2 What you will do

Any plan started without these two considerations is destined to fail. Here's some further detail and thoughts:

What you need to do

This is what actually has to occur for you to reach your goal. This might involve doing some stuff you don't like doing, and so what is critical here is picking a goal that really means something to you and which you're willing to suffer for. If you want to get 'jacked', but you love having a takeaway every night more, you've got a big problem.

What you will do

This is the stuff that will make it as easy as possible for you to stay consistent and actually derive some amount of enjoyment from the process of working towards the goal. This could be selecting specific exercises you enjoy more than others, going with a three day per week plan instead of four, choosing an push pull legs split instead of full body, doing the assault bike instead of running, etc.

The key is to be realistic about what will make it as easy as possible for you to be successful. There's a great saying: "success leaves clues". So think about a time you succeeded in the past and consider what made that come together.

Example: My Weight Cut Programme

To use myself as an example, my current main goal is to maintain as much strength and muscle as I can, while I cut my bodyweight.

To do this, I have to:

-Be in a calorie deficit

-Continue to train hard

-Consume sufficient protein

There are lots of ways of approaching this, so in order to make it feasible I've done the following things to keep me on track and enjoying it somewhat:

-Shifted more of my focus towards conditioning and bodyweight strength goals. This allows me to see progress somewhere, so that the sight of weight dropping off my barbell lifts won't drive me totally insane.

-Lifting 4 days a week, on an upper-lower split. This allows for shorter sessions than when I do full body. Nothing frustrates me more than having to rush through a session. Plus this allows more time for me to do the bodybuilding isolation type work that will help me believe I'm not losing too much muscle. I can also get stronger on some of these exercises despite the deficit as I'm fairly weak at many of them (curls etc).

-Walking every day. This allows me more flexibility in my food intake so I can still have the odd beer or dessert, and less tracking is required. I'm the kind of person who would happily walk an 30-60 mins to be able to have more food. Plus I like podcasts and walking is a good way of getting those in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Cill94

Thanks. Absolutely. And I usually recommend people have two types of goals. One that can never truly be reached e.g. 'get stronger'. And then specific ones that are measurable and attainable, e.g. 'bench x weight'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 get_test_ready

Hi,

Without knowing your details, I would have some concerns about simply upping your training and reducing your calories. Your body needs food for fueling your efforts and for rebuilding muscle and tissues. Going into calorie deficit undermines these.

It is better to look at your calorie consumption from a good-food and bad-food perspective. Cut out the junk food, processed food and alcohol first. Then match your calorie requirements to your activity and metabolism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Cill94

Advertisement