Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2022/23 Cazoo PDC World Darts Championship

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭LowOdour

MVG was great bet for the tournament before it started, but it has and will be an easy run to the win. Smith the only one left that could put it up to him, but wouldn't bet bad money on him performing.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Perseverance The Second

I still can't quite understand why Price let himself get so flustered by the crowd that he took out ear defenders. He surely must have known it was only going to distract him even more.

Pretty embarrassing for an Iceman to have a meltdown.

A lad in one of the Whatsapp groups showed a bet where MVG was 2/1 to win the match and hit the most 180s. I know MVG likes to drop to the 19s, but surely that bet was mispriced? It was on Betfair. Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

Would the ref be within his rights NOT to say..'Gerwin, you require 121' considering he can't be heard anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

It seemed like it was more to get at the crowd and wind them up, the gesture to the crowd was one of the funniest I've seen during a match. It's pure shithousery from Price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭US3

MvG isn't a big 180 hitter at all. As dominant as he was he still only hit 1 more 180 than dobey. I had price and MvG both to win and have most 180s and I was sure it would be MvG that would let me down. 2/1 odds were fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Crowds have always been much rougher towards him at the worlds though. It's more of a pantomime with the Christmas/New Year crowd in than the other events. As we saw again last night they seem to break him very easily. I don't think he'll ever win it with a crowd in unless he can turn his reputation around and somehow become likeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Fairly obvious that those ear defenders were at hand to use if things weren't going Price's way. He mentioned after the Barney match that he had a plan B ready if Barney got in front.

I have no sympathy for him. It was a sly tactic to try and throw Clemons off his rhythm.

It was very telling that for the first leg where Price wore them HE was throwing first and he made NO gestures to the crowd whatsoever. As soon as he'd won that leg and Clemons went to open the next leg, he began gesturing to the crowd at the exact time that Clemons was addressing the board and opening the crucial next leg.

Pure gamesmanship which came back to bite him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Did Sky add in an extra commercial break because of the ear defenders? Normally at that stage of the match they play two or three sets back to back without a break, but they came from a break showing him wearing them and then went straight for another break after that one set. Did someone somewhere call an extra advert break so that someone could get a hold of Price to tell him to take them off?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

He still would have heard the crowd with the ear defenders and ear plugs on. Definitely the booing but not necessarily the specific comments at him. No ear defenders are that good. He should have just went for the earplugs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I noticed that too. The usual run is a break after set 1 and set 2. Then it's after every 2 sets. If there's 3 sets left, it's play to the finish and no breaks. Lets say it's first to 5 and the score is 3-3 there'd be no more breaks until the match finishes. So it was a change of policy to have a break there after the Price wore his ear warmers.

There is no rules around wearing such things in the DRA. They have guidelines for clothes, sponsor positioning, etc. But nothing about headgear and Price broke no rules by doing what he did. I suspect though, a rule will be brought in now after that.

I thought headgear is forbidden other than on medical grounds or religious grounds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Indeed you are correct. See rule 5.17.2

I wonder had Price got agreement beforehand to use them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Choochtown

I'd imagine so. He'd already planned to use them v Barney if things weren't going his way.

Poor sportsmanship to pre-plan a way to distract your opponent if you find yourself behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 563 ✭✭✭buster180

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭boomdocker

It was a nuts thing to do - however he is definitely the most whistled-at player - which is a big no-no in my book

Listen carefully you will hear it in nearly every game he plays

It must drive him nuts - so given the stakes and £££ I don't blame him to some degree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,817 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

On paper you'd be going for a MVG vs Smith final but Clemens and DVDB might not agree with that

Saying that I'd give Clemens more of a chance of a shock win than DVDB

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

Maybe, but in my view the whistling is below the belt, regardless of how much you dislike a player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,495 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

A German, a Dutchman, a Belgian and a Brit, has there been a more international final 4?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭US3

English, Welsh, Scottish an Dutch is the only other 4 nation semi finals I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Strange how there was no outcry about the crowd when Fallon Sherrock's opponents were getting it much worse than Price. Not a peep about that.

Let Price retire, who cares, someone else will just take his place. Darts will be ok without him.

Predictions for tonight:

Clemens 2-6 Smith

MvG 6-1 DvdB

Really looking forward to Clemens vs. Bully Boy.

Hopefully Clemens does the business.

Clemens 3-6 Smith

MvG 6-2 DvdB

Clemens 6-4 Bully Boy

MVG 6-1 VDB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭siblers

This opening set is nuts. Crazy scoring going on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,495 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Savage start to this!

It's pouring 180s!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Amazing set of darts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Smith will be kicking himself.

110 average and only going in 1-1.

Clemens did well to hang onto his coattails. Smith can’t keep this scoring up surely.

Advertisement