Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2022/23 Cazoo PDC World Darts Championship

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,673 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Even The Power Phil Taylor - for decades considered the best darts player of all time - would have a fierce opponent in MvG now. At what point is it fair to call MvG the new GOAT?

We are continuously overwhelmed with statistics these days, how do the two of them compare in terms of finishing doubles in the years they won the championship? In terms of 3 dart averages?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

Can't see anything but an MVG win today no one can live with him when he plays like this even the new and improved Michael Smith hopefully MVG dips a bit and Smith can pounce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭bren2001

We can call MVG the GOAT when he wins it 16 times. Phil did it consistently year in year out. MVG has blown hot and cold in recent years. Let's see if he wins today and can rack up a few.

True enough but a few of the titles Phil won were handy ones particularly the ones in the mid 90's where the standard was pretty poor and the BDO was probably of a higher standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭hayrabit

7-4 to MVG my prediction

Clemens had Smith up against it for the better part of the first four sets - likely be far far tougher for Bully Boy up against Van Gerwen in final

hope Smith wins tho, but it's hard to see it happening

might do a few bets, but ones I'm largely staying away from are 'x' amount of "100+ Checkouts" - thinking being that with the likely high scoring from both players, lesser opportunities will be presented to even go for the big outs. Michael had a 170 against Dimitri Barbara?? 😋 and I think it was the only ton plus finish the Dutchman had last night. Will do a few involving 4+ big outs, but doubt we'll be seeing a half dozen apiece, or more from either player, of finishes above 100

for a cupla Euros on each, with BF, I've gone with:

Smith: Most 180s and highest checkout (any ties = loser) @7/4

Smith to Throw a 180 in each of the first two legs @5/1 - like this one 😊

3 or more legs to finish on the bull @13/8

35 or more total 180's and 4 or more legs to finish on the bull @9/1......

Both Players to check out 140+ @9/4

33 or more total 180's & 3 or more legs to finish on the bull @7/2 - this one's my second favourite from out the bunch 😊

Smith to check out 160+ @9/4

MVG to check out 160+ @9/4

Each player to throw 15 or more 180s & Each player to have 4 or more 100+ checkouts @9/2

Michael Van Gerwen to have 4 or more 120+ checkouts @11/2

Michael Smith to throw a 180 in each of the First three Legs @12/1..

Both Players to check out 160+ @10/1..

Michael Smith to have Highest Checkout, First 180 & Last 180 @5/1

Michael Smith to have 2 or more 140+ checkouts @5/1

Michael Van Gerwen 7-3 @5/1

180s Handicap Michael Smith (-2.5) @Evens

Michael Van Gerwen Win (-4.5) @11/5

Each player to throw 16 or more 180s & Each player to have 4 or more 100+ checkouts @6/1

9 Dart Finish @17/2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Surprised nothing mentioned here about MVG been within the encroachment zone last night.

If that's a rule which Mardle seemed to indicate, he should have been pulled up on it. His opponent said it to him and he still did it so he can't play dumb on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The ref was right there. Why didn't he mention it to Russ.

Can't answer that, I'd love one of the pundits to say it to him like Mardle. Say listen Michael that's out of order you know what your doing there.

Defo should be warned after the match by the officials not to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Spiderpig92

Phil beat Barney 7-1 in the 2009 Final with a 109 average - he'd certainly mix it with prime MVG on his day no doubt about it

He should have been pulled up on it it's poor form and he knows it he did it deliberately to hurry Dimi up but Dimi should have asked the ref to intervene no good whinging to Van Gerwen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

From MVGs interview it sounded like it was more him tapping his feet that was putting VDB off more so than where he was standing - he was only barely in the area. Would probably have been a bigger issue if the match wasn't so one sided. To be honest it just felt unnecessary from MVG, he was always going to win comfortably anyway. Won't be a problem in the final as both players will just get on with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭bren2001

Ah yeah, MVG doesn't have to get to 16 but I don't think he is in consideration for the GOAT just yet. He has not shown the longevity Phil did. I can't see MVG sticking around long enough to get to 16.

At one stage over half his foot was in the area, he looked down knew about but didn't move back. Makes no odds if he was tapping his foot or not, he shouldn't have encroached.

You are right he doesn't need to do it. Kind of reminds of Taylor doing stuff he didn't need to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭boomdocker

@ochepedia on twitter is the man for that

Has stats for everything imaginable

MvG has been in unbelievable form since coming back from the carpal tunnel syndrome surgery

You'd wonder how much an effect that was having over the last few years, looking back

Smith needs to play like Cross did in his final Vs Taylor , averaged 107 or thereabouts if I remember right

A fast start, winning the first two sets could set up a cracker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

What time is the match scheduled to star tonight? Looked around a few places and couldnt find a time. Even on the PDC website.

7:45 for the TV coverage. Match will probably start after 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

20.15 it says there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Is that online league thing on at the same time? Seems madness if so

Good to see Peter Manley still losing matches anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

How much of an affect will the crowd have on tonight's game. Vast majority will want Smith to win and no doubt they'll give MvG plenty of it.

Imperative Smith gets a good start here, if he goes 2 sets down I can see a 7-0 or 7-1 pounding. I just cannot see a way Smith wins this barring an implosion from MvG.

Going for MvG 7-2.

Bet of the night for me is MvG to win and Smith most 180s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

anyone able to PM me a stream? My usual does not appear to be online...

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Is there some kind of break / interval around half ways so I could walk the dog??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

Yep, there is a half time show. Think U2 are performing this year.

Serious answer: No, barring a few ad breaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Hard to see MVG not winning, Smith will need to be at his absolute best.

Quick start is essential, if it goes 3-0 in sets to MVG it’s good night.

Smith should really have taken that opening set. Criminal that he didn't win that second leg with MVG needing 8 darts on a double.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Exactly the start Smith didn’t want.

Losing the darts straight away even though MVG wasn’t at his best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Incredible darts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

That's probably the best leg ever, especially given the circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hawkwing

17 perfect!!!

Advertisement