Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scotland vs Ireland, Women's World Cup Play-Off Final, RTE 2, 8pm k.o.

Comments

But why sing it? Such a small time mentality!

Look, it’s just weird to me, my old man is Irish but never heard him come out with the like to be honest. I’m well used to it as I said, so not offended personally, just seems very misjudged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

The sub keeper Grace Moloney had the dressing celebrations on her Instagram live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Small time mentality ??

What does that mean ?????

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

This is more it for me, everyone has to get their social media likes out of shite like this nowadays. Put the phone away and forget TikTok for the night, enjoy the win without being glued to a mobile filming stuff and there's no hassle of any description.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Such a shame to hear about this the morning after. Talk about ruining a lot of goodwill they had earned. Vera should be giving interviews talking about the biggest managerial achievement of her career; instead, she's having to apologize for a stupid song. If you're going to sing that twee pish then be smart enough not to film yourselves doing it.

They've given the loyalist hypocrites who turn a blind eye to flag-burning, sash songs and the like perfect ammunition now to denounce the team going forward. It's also enabled the 'RA heads to turn this into a political debate.

One of the dumbest PR gaffes I've seen in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭abff

Singing the song was bad enough. Posting it online was completely idiotic. It changes the conversation from one about what a fantastic achievement it was to qualify for the World Cup finals to one about what was sung in the dressing room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Would the English media like to Apologise to the Irish for when english/rangers/norn ireland fans always shout No Surrender during their national anthem?

Sky Sports can jog on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Just to play devils advocate... I don't think the girl who streamed it was thinking, oh here's a rebel song, I better get this up online. She seems to have been streaming the celebrations in general and this was part of those celebrations. Open to correction on that, I wasn't following it online or anything.

I don't get the way everything needs to be posted online these days but it's the way it has gone for so many.

I said earlier that it's a shame that this will take a bit of a gloss of the story... It's more than that now, it has become the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

One of the Daily Mail comments....

London, United Kingdom, 2 hours ago

Stay classy. What a source of inspiration for so many young people looking up to them. They should be banned for playing for life. Better still get them to sit down with the family's of IRA victims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Being reported on BBC radio news now.

They have managed to come away from a victory looking like bigoted knuckle-draggers. What should have been a source of pride for Irish people is now an embarrassment.

What a bunch of brain-dead morons.

• Advertisement

No they haven't. Knuckle draggers on Sky etc probably think that. The rest of the world doesn't bat an eyelid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

The poppy thing as you call it is "weird" as you agree. However calling it "weird" also makes it sound like it's odd or marginalised when in actual reality it takes centre stage every Autumn on screens across all British TV channels and is particularly ramped up around football fixtures. Managers, players must comply or face abuse from the terraces or online. TV presenters/pundits/contributors the same. The cheek of that Sky Sports hack dogging the Irish player with questions as if she committed a crime when he and the rest of them will be partaking in that annual poppy fascism debacle for about a month in a matter of weeks. The FAI should retract their apology and tell Sky Sports to shove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

So so sad today after such as inspiring victory and performance last night. It’s beyond pathetic that in 2022, when there is some much talk about a new Ireland etc, that these young girls would think it would be any way acceptable to sing this song. The only thing sadder is seeing those that continue to defend this completely inexcusable behaviour. It’s pathetic. End of. I want my 8 year daughter to grow up respecting all, understanding our history, but accepting that we must move on to create a better Ireland for all. This sort of behaviour stops this happening, and doesn’t allow the new generation to develop in a positive way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Not BBC radio news!

That's a real pity for you that you feel so embarrassed and angry. I'd wager that the vast majority of people are very happy to remain proud of the team.

Why is it a PR gaffe in a country where they indulge in a month long poppy fascism display of jingoism every Autumn? Why are Irish people made to feel ashamed about aspects of our history while the English indulge in jingoism and extreme English nationalism and wallow in all the stuff that lead to a populist and (it has to be said) majority vote for brexit? Have you anything to say about that or will you just conveniently turn a blind eye to it in case someone accuses you of being anti British or something while denouncing the players for singing the Celtic Symphony. C'mon, get real here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

The cheek of that Sky sports presenter asking do they need to be better educated on anglo-irish history. Maybe they should educate their own about the British Empire and the things that they did in not only Ireland but India, the Middle-East, Africa, China and so on.

Are you serious? So the wearing of a poppy precludes you from being able to interview someone?

Some embarrassing comments on here right enough.

it’s obvious we could never agree here. I think the people singing those songs last night were morons, likewise those who force the poppy down peoples throats!

However, it’s clear you think English people being excessively nationalist is awful and should probably be lynched whilst Irish people doing it should be lauded as some kind of national heroes.

• Advertisement

Anything to say about the annual festival of fascist jingoism that hijacks football in particular and gets rammed down everyone's throats every Autumn and those who don't comply are subjected to abuse? Does it make you sad that that happens every Autumn, year after year after year for about a month. No, let's not go there because it's mainstreamed and it's been sponsored and pushed by the British state for recent decades, instead let's rip into the girls on the Irish soccer team for singing the Celtic Symphony.

Are you getting paid every time you post about poppies?

What has poppies anything to do with a bunch of young women, who should be inspirational role-models, using the occasion of their victory to indulge in a sectarian song celebrating a bunch of murderous thugs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Fair play to the girls. Fantastic achievement. It's not long since the players had to go begging for changing rooms and training gear. There seems to have been a real push in the women's game in the country over the last few years, and it's paid off.

I hope all the players are proud of why they have achieved and are ignoring the media nonsense in the UK today. The players have the given the country something to celebrate in terms of the national team, that's what should be on their minds now really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

An error of judgment for sure, and bu girls mostly too young to even have knowledge of how it offends. Hopefully it'll blow over. Although when you have dup folk asking Police Scotland to investigate, they will keep pushing it. Don't see them asking PS to investigate weekly rangers chants, but I suppose that is whataboutery.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

The absolute gall of that Sky News reporter 🤢 Surprised she didn't tell him to f*ck off tbh.

• Advertisement

The words of the song are vile, it doesn’t really matter what the name of the song is. The Celtic symphony makes it sound all fluffy and nice. It’s not.

Why do people want to push the narrative that it is all Britain’s fault?! It’s pathetic. Remembrance Sunday is a very respectful time and I have no issue with anyone wearing a poppy and respecting their war dead. You do know thousands of Irish died in the world wars too?

Unfortunately, these girls have made a grave error of judgement and they have a lot to do to get people back on side. You simply cannot get away with such behaviour in 2022. The sooner everyone realises this, the better it will be for all, and this was more or less the message in my previous post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Hardly a grave error of judgement, it will all be quickly forgotten about - you can be sure no Irish journalists will be dragging this up again after today. That said, Irish soccer generally could do well to drop the Brit bashing, ra songs and all that stuff. It adds nothing.

Hopefully they learn their lesson, that there is to be no phones in the dressing room and that everything doesn't need to be recorded or streamed. Ridiculous that it was tbh.

What I think is they have no right to castigate the Irish soccer players for singing an Irish nationalist song while they indulge in extreme nationalism of their own hue, which is far more prevalent and widespread and mainstreamed and dangerous.

If you're actually being honest about thinking that "those who force the poppy down people's throats are morons", then that's a hell of a lot of morons you're talking about. I'd also suggest given their numbers it would be much more difficult to stand up and point the finger at them than it is to attack the women of the Irish soccer team for singing an old rebel song as the soon to be poppy wearing Sky Sports hack did.

They've probably managed to flush any lucrative endorsement opportunities down the toilet too. I can't see many reputable companies wanting to be associated with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Did the DUP ever ask the RUC to investigate the singers of the Michaela Mcareavey song?. This is unfortunate for the girls but I'm sure it'll blow over.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

This will literally be forgotten in like two days.

So is the singing of the song ridiculous or the fact that it was recorded and shared on social media? To be fair Vera Pauw gave her clear answer to this today.

Of course it was a grave error of judgement, no other way to describe it. Agree 100% on your other point, adds absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭jacool

I have lived through the 1980's in both Donegal and Northern Ireland, been searched at the border and had the guns, whether accidentally or not, pointed at me while in a car waiting to cross. Black flags, H-blocks, murders every week, perpetrated by both sides. I thought we had moved on from those days.

The oldest person on the Irish team last night was born in 1988 and was 10 when the Good Friday agreement was signed!

I do not get the narrative that tries to justify the singing of such a stupid and divisive song in 2022.

Also, I don't get the complaining about the wrongs of others. If you believe that the "others" are wrong, fine, but why fall to their level then? Just rise above it. You can't criticise one and think that the other is OK.

A fantastic achievement has had the gloss taken off it by, quite simply, stupidity. I know the general consensus is that football players may not be generally cerebrally above average - this is like a proof positive for that belief.

But they "get away" with the poppy fascism display of jingoism and the abuse of those that don't comply with it every Autumn. The words of Celtic Symphony aren't vile. What's vile is the prevalence of English nationalism in recent decades that has lead to brexit, that manifests itself in the annual poppy fascist festival and has created an extreme and dangerous rise of English nationalism with people afraid to call it out and stand up to it in case some little englander knuckle dragger (many of them employed in mainstream British media) accuses them of being anti British.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

I blame Scottish fitba for all of this.

You probably don't appreciate the irony in your post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

It's why they probably didn't send captain Katie McCabe out. She might have been a bit more blunt towards the education question 😂

Wonder if Sky ever apologised to the people affected by the Kinahans and their dealings with his lot through boxing, or did they ever bring Declan Rice on to the show as he loves a good up the ra chant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

If Declan Rice can do the same and live it down and play for England I think the womens team can live it down. They have apologised unreservedly for it, they have been castigated for it, people should move on.

I would suggest you judge peoples views on the poppy on more than sky sports, people aren’t being dragged out of pubs and beaten for daring not to wear a poppy, honestly most people don’t overly care either way.

I think nationalist notions in general are silly, English, Irish, whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That's kind of neither here nor there though, you look at a situation on its merits. Just because someone has done something worse, doesn't absolve someone else's actions.

Ultimately, it was a fairly thoughtless and reaaallly unnecessary gaffe to sing a song that glorifies a terrorist organisation that in reality those singing it are not actually at all supportive of I'd imagine. It's one of those ones where it's unthinking ignorance rather than actively intentional.

Totally agree it's a bit rich for any British media to push so hard on it given how nationalistic they've shifted, but that doesn't make the act itself any better.

• Advertisement

Players get abuse for it on the field of play if they don't comply. Well one does but that's because he's the only one who dares not to wear it. TV presenters who haven't worn it get abuse online if they don't wear it. So what happens is, because like you say "most people don't care either way" etc., most of them wear it even if they don't really want to or care to because they have other things to be getting on with. I would suggest that you are downplaying the coercion that's involved in it because it makes life easier. 20 or 30 years of that coercion, ignored by "most people who don't care either way", driven by the media and the powers that be in Britain and they ended up with Brexit.

Probably sour grapes from one of the losing Scottish contingent and they complained about it😆

We are probably getting of subject here, my own opinion is no one should be forced with wear it and I hardly think social media is a reflection of the general public, you may think we all go round preaching poppy mania but the reality is most don’t care!

As for the one who gets booed, look it’s ridiculous and I have sympathy for the guy but turning your back on the flag and “IRA class” is clearly going to get him some heat at football grounds, I mean that can’t be a surprise!

Anyway, clogging the thread up here, have a good day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Always this sort of thing associated with the "garrison game" in this country. Which is ironic given the general theme of the songs.

The IRA is part of Irish history, but he was getting abuse before all that simply for not wearing a poppy anyway. That's a little bit disingenuous of you to gloss over that.

I'm not saying you all go around preaching poppy mania, but what I can see with my own eyes is that there is a coercion there which is forcing people to comply and most do comply even those who don't want to or who don't care about it because it's not worth the hassle that comes with not complying with it. These girls on the Irish soccer team getting a hard time off the media that is guilty of indulging in and deliberately pushing that jingoism is rank hypocrisy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

As far as the song is concerned, nothing to see here. Players having a laugh after a big win.

So what?

You can have a laugh about those songs. Nothing to apologise about.

Remember Alan Partridge's chat show when the Alan doppelganger started singing Black and Tans and The Men Behind the Wire. Just having a laugh.

It's just the Dublin 4 contingent and a few DUP hardliners who have an issue with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It's a PR gaffe because instead of talking about the greatest sporting achievement the women's team here have accomplished, there is wall to wall coverage of them glorifying the Provos. Pauw has said it has 'taken some shine off' last night. As regards poppy fascism, that gets criticised plenty of times. It's okay to be critical of both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ah Jeysus, the IRA is a part of Irish history, but it's not normally taught like this!

He was already getting dogs abuse - but this one really lost him the high ground he'd had before it.

For the girls, do you agree that they did something wrong? Like, the reaction from the Brits is too much, but it did deserve SOME reaction... it deserved to be called out, albeit in a more reasonable manner.

• Advertisement

You think Scotland would be used to it, particularly Glasgow given the bigots that sing Celtic and Rangers bigoted songs week in week out.

Are the DUP seriously getting involved? Lol, considering their ties with the bigoted Orange Order. They are a complete basket case of a party.

Advertisement