Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get rid of very old caravan.

Options
  • 11-10-2022 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭

I've an old caravan (must be 40 or more years old) in an old barn and I want the space.

Is there some recognized way of disposing of it? It might just be still towable.

Currently I'm thinking my only option is an angle grinder and a skip?

Wake me up when it's all over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Try selling it, the bases of those used to be an easy convert to a car transporter/trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭cute geoge

donedeal

• Registered Users Posts: 29,256 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Done deal or freecycle.

We had one in our parents' garage when they were selling up, it was snapped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Put it on adverts or done deal, old caravans are trendy at the moment , any pics of it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

burn it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Offer it to a Craniology type science show and they will blow it up for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,899 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Hard to say not knowing the condition but a try at selling seems the best way.

There is a for sale section on this forum.

Even if you give it away you will be quids in vs. the angle grinder/hiring a skip option.

^^^^^

I'll stick an add up when I've cleaned it out but if anyone wants to PM me if they are interested. It would something like this

only with flaking paint and flat tyres and beat up inside. Floor still seems to be fine and I think the towing hitch is still OK ;-)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

That's lovely! Def put it on donedeal (and put the link up here when you do). Lots of people do those up these days. If I'd the space I'd love a project like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,899 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Actually that's not the OP's van he just posted that pic of a similar model to show what it might look like.

If it was I'd have been on the road myself. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

All depends on chassis rot or not how it look underneath?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I know! I meant to make it clearer in my post that I knew. I just meant if it looks like that people would be very interested.

I always like to see threads updated with an outcome. So here's what happened. I scraped it.

Turned out to be quite a big job. When I had cleared the caravan out and took a good look at it I found that the main frame just behind the tow hitch was rusted right out on one side. Couldn't easily be moved so got the sawsall and angle grinder out.

Took 5 trips in a full ford focus to the tip 10 disks and 8 sawsall blades .

Burnt all the wood on a stove and kept most of the aluminium sheet.

Cost excluding a lot of time would be in the region of 120 euro. Got a good deal on the tip which cost about 80 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

You would have got about 5 to 800 euro for that caravan to the right buyer. The rusted out A Frame wouldn't be a massive fix to those with the know how. Ideal for a renovation

Although, I accept I might not be worth the pain in the hole trying to get a buyer and may have taken a bit of time to sell

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Donate it to Brainiac

https://youtu.be/9ZywwUt8RH0?t=15

Advertisement