Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PRSA versus new auto-enrollment scheme?

• 11-10-2022 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi guys, Just wondering about the benefits of contributing to a PRSA versus the new auto-enrollment scheme that has been announced, for someone with no current pension cover? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,139 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

i've not yet found anything comprehensive on the new scheme. a few questions i would have:

you cant avail of it if you have a PRSA, but if you cancel your PRSA now can you avail when it comes into effect?

will there be tax relief on the new scheme?

will there be 200k tax free on the far side?

are the rates per the article linked below upper limits for contributions?

Year 1-3: employees will contribute 1.5pc of their salary, which will be matched by their employer, and the State will add an additional 0.5pc of the original amount put in by workers.

Year 4-6: 3% of salary for ER and EE + 1% by taxpayer

Year 7-9: 4.5% of salary for ER and EE + 1.5% by taxpayer

10+: 6% of salary for ER and EE + 2% by taxpayer

my advice would be wait and see till more detail comes out.

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/pensions/auto-enrolment-pension-scheme-finally-gets-government-green-light-hundreds-of-thousands-to-benefit-42053928.html

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jwof2006

Thanks for this. Yeah, it's a tough one to know what to do. Am keen to start contributing and feel like another 2 years without any contributions/tax relief may be wasted time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Why would it be a waste of time? Are you not going to get the tax relief, will the investment not have the same opportunity to grow over time? Nobody knows what the future will hold all you can say is that you have decide pass on the current opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jwof2006

Yeah, fair point. I guess my concern was that you sign up for a PRSA now and then rule yourself out of the new more rewarding scheme perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Unlikely that the new scheme will be more rewarding for anyone on the higher rate of tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,593 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The AE scheme offers 25% tax relief, well below what a high rate tax payer can get, 40%, from any other pension scheme.

Advertisement