Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Apprenticeship

Options
  • 11-10-2022 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey guys,

Just wanted to ask for your help as I have hit a bit of a wall and I am struggling to find helpful answers online.

I would like to ask if any of you have undergone or know anyone who has completed an apprenticeship to become a gunsmith in the UK in any area of gun prodution from stocks to ejectors to bluing.

I would like to ask about your experience in this trade and what the day to day was like for you.

Just as a bit of a background on myself, I am 20 years old and I have already completed 2 years in college of an Engineering course studying mechanics, physics and mathematics.

I am looking to change my career path as my current one does not suit me and what I want get back from my time invested.

I have been working with both wood and metal since secondary school along with part time jobs and I feel I have good ability working with both materials.

I understand that the building techniques of guns has changed in the ways of CNC maching and lazer cutting technology to produce guns at a higher rate but I am looking to take on an old school apprenticeship in which the gun is produced from start to finish by hand.

From my research on the internet, I have found a few companies that offer a gunsmith apprenticeship but I would like to ask is there an annual apprenticeship open day/ expo in which employers can meet potential employees?

Thank you all very much for your time and help it is really appreciated.

All the best

Johnny

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,242 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved to a forum that's related to the topic instead.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I can't answer any of your questions, but I will point out one thing, the UK is now a third country and there is no obligation on EU states recognising it's qualifications, including Ireland. So before you go spending time and money obtaining the qualification make sure it is fit for purpose. I'm thinking of things like obtaining professional insurance if you need, quoting for public contracts and so on, assuming you are not intending to permanently relocate to the UK.

Advertisement