Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timer Switch on Shower Pump?

Options
  • 11-10-2022 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

We've too many teenagers and they like to have the longest showers & no about of pleading, reasoning or discussions on flooding the septic tank, heating bills, leaving the bathroom drenched with condensation (ceiling mould a problem now too despite ventilation being reasonable) or using up all the hot water before others can avail of it sink in with them for very long.

I'm talking about 40-50 minute showers at least...its ridiculous.

I'd like to put in a 10 minute timer on the pump to discourage this bad habit. On testing when the power to the shower pump is cut there is enough pressure to finish a shower, for example rinse out shampoo etc, but I'm hoping that the reduced pressure might cause them to finish up and get out.

I searched online a few times and other people have discussed it but I never found a solution I liked that didn't have some major downside.

The concerns I have are:

1. Potentially damaging my Grundfos 3 Bar Pump (Brilliant unit, so quiet, going 10 years plus now, recommended via Boards.ie!)

2. Killing some or all of the children by setting it up so they're reaching for an electrical switch with wet hands to resume their interrupted shower. Was thinking it would have to be IP66 touch panel/sealed or something.

Anyway....Surely there's a reasonable, tried and trusted approach, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭fletch

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭zg3409

Something like this might work but it needs to be pressed before starting the shower each time. It may not be rated for the power as it's intended for lights. It would be mounted in hot press near the pump, not in the bathroom.

Ideally you need a sensor to start a timer when the shower starts, then stop it after a fixed time. You run the risk of being covered in shampoo or suds when the water stops. If the timer automatically resets when shower is stopped and started again there is a risk users will stop then restart shower straight away. If they have to leave shower and go to hallway to press a button in the hot press they are unlikely to go back to shower again.

Note with the pump not running some water may still get through so it may be enough to wash off suds. You can get higher power versions of above switch normally called boost timer , but they tend to be 30/60/90 minutes press once for 30, twice for 60 etc.

Heating hot water is very expensive.

Advertisement