Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overlooked for new tasks/responsibilities

Options
  • 12-10-2022 7:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I work in an administrative position supporting the sales team in our company and as part of my role, I also perform EA functions. Earlier this year, within the company, there are two other Executive Assistants. One of whom, recently was given this role (she was previously a contractor and as such, she now manages three people, she works remotely in the UK and one of the people she manages is in Dublin and yet I'm in Dublin and not considered for this), I feel that I've been overlooked for new tasks and I'm not considered for any new work.

I've been performing more or less the same role for nearly 5 years and I've tried asking for additional tasks/responsibilities and I feel like it's falling on deaf ears. One of the EA's told me that She's organising a Sales retreat for next year and I can't understand how this task doesn't fall to me. Yesterday I found out that the other two EA's are going to the US to help out at an event and I feel that I've been overlooked for this as well. I'm quite upset as I feel like there's nowhere or no way for me to progress or to improve myself. The previous department that I used to work in have organised a Christmas night out (these two EA's have been invited and they don't technically work in the dept and I've been left out (the only admin person excluded) - I feel so isolated and I'm looking for some advice.

Comments

Talk to your manager about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,234 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Certainly raise the tasks issues with the manager see if they can explain why. But I suspect your being bypassed deliberately, perhaps the other EA have been pushing a lot harder.

As for the Xmas night out thats nothing to do with the manager. But if you used to work there try asked an old colleague what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,975 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Do you already have enough work to do, perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

I assume you have an annual appraisal session / performance review type chat with your boss. How has that been going over the last few years? Have you raised this topic during such discussions? If not I would do so at the next opportunity, or even beforehand.

Are you looking more for recognition within the team, or more of an actual promotion with an associated pay increase etc.? I would be wary of the far away hill seeming greener, e.g. wishing that you were also heading to the US with the others. etc. Although these trips can quite often seem quite attractive, the reality is very often much different. After being to just a few a lot of people I work with would rather not travel to such things at all.

Advertisement