Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it gold?

• 12-10-2022 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭

My father gifted me a watch he received for 25 years service at his company many moons ago.

I like the shape and roman numerals but it's a bit too blingy for me. It's so gold I wonder if it's real gold. I can't find too much information about it. It's a Seiko Quartz model number 7N22-5021. On the back it says Base Metal S. Steel Back.

Any tips would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭mailforkev

First four Google results for “7N22-5021“ say it’s gold plated.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Amik

Thanks! I saw that too but saw different values for the plating: 14K and 18K.

I just find it strange there's no hallmark or other indication of it being gold on the watch unless I'm missing it. Or does plating not warrant that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Fitz II

plating is very thin, the amount of gold involved is tiny, you dont hallmark plated items because they are not gold. Think of it as a durable spray painting of gold a few dozen microns thick. There is absoutly zero precious metal value in plated items...sorry.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

One judge is if a "gold" watch has a steel back it's 99.9999etc% not a solid gold case. "Base metal" on the back is the description of the case material under the gold plating.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement