Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish womens team singing 'Up the Ra'

Options
  • 12-10-2022 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Watch this condescending English lad talking about the need for education in the aftermath.

Because of course the IRA occurred in a vacuum....

I think they should double down and have the Wolfe tones as the anthem at the world cup.😀

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thegame983

To be fair our media have been just as pearl clutching.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭buried

Wait until the brits hear what goes on over in america every 4th of July, they'll f**king loose their minds altogether

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I'm backing our ladies and backing our armed forces.

Come on you girls in Green and up the Ra.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Really hope the Irish fans that travel bang out a rendition of it during the opening game at the world cup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Marvellous, shame on the lislzzy in a box moaners.

• Advertisement

• won’t someone please think of the children.

What kind of muppet thinks "up the ra" is acceptable in this day and age? **** wits lol and them knowing cameras are a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

They meant the good ra, not the bad ra

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

hilarious. all the virtue signalling and overcompensation by the media (rte in particular) over this football team, then they sing 'up the ra' , what a shower of absolute dopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Madeoface

It might be condescending but the team let themselves down very badly in this. Soured a great night.

Imagine the reaction if Scotland had won and that team started singing no surrender to the ira for some equally bizarre reason that our team chanted their shite, in Scotland....??? Why? Over exuberance?

They do need education IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

RTE news and sport in particular have decided that their role is not just to report on the games but to actively promote women's sport - team sport especially so. To the point now that it's hard to listen to.

However laudable this approach may be it's not actually their remit. And as shown, putting people on a pedestal can backfire.

That said, this is a bit of a storm in a teacup.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

It was in a dressing room probably started by 1 person and the rest joined in not knowing.

Cancel them all!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭KilOit

Nonstory if there ever was one. Funny that it's coming from a British news outlet, they need a bit of self-reflection if they are going to call out other countries' football antics

• Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Celtic Symphony enters the Irish iTunes Charts at number 13 😂...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

I still won't be able to name any of them in 2 weeks time.

They will always be referred to as the team that celebrated their win singing republican slogans... more annoyingly they have opened the subject that chanting " ooo a " is a thing to be doing?

Is that all they could come up with?

By the way, they were worse to apologise for it, it should have been brushed off with a reference to Paul McGrath and a cheeky smile. Always smile when celebrating your nationality and your patriotism for it, **** happens.

Why don't they wear miniskirts like the hockey girls? It reminds me of the famous words spoken to Duran Duran by EMI execs in the 80's

" You look awful..... you sound awful .... you play awful.......... you should go a long way "

Oh armoured cars tanks and guns......

• Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I thought it took the shine of a great performance and result. Totally unnecessary to be singing up the ra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

They were misheard, they were actually singing ooh ahh Paul McGrath, duh.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

absolute non story and non issue to be honest, more fool on them to appollogise for expressing an act of our culture.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Bad form. "Up the paramilitary organisation that murdered many innocent people" is not a good look. Can't see why people don't understand that (or claim not to).

And before anyone starts with the whataboutery, yes I know the history, despise loyalism and am fairly nationalist leaning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Sweet Talkin Romeo

at least it draws attention to "The Women's Game" - first I even heard they were playing 😁

on flip side, and we all know it, were it blokes that sang that song, then they'd be "roundly castigated" by all and sundry; "education" wouldn't rate a mention - until the apology days later

WD the Irish Women's Team 🙆

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If a camera made it into the dressing rooms at Windsor Park and a Northern Ireland Team were singing songs about the UVF, UFF or UDA it would garner criticism and derision.. quite rightly.

stupid shower of…

Over 25 years since the IRA ceasefire…. And here are a few young ones, actively representing their country, a fantastic achievement and victory, aware there is media present , so there are cameras, journalists etc feet away, and therefore the eyes of the world on them… and still at that craic….it’s unlikely Vera Pauw will have been aware of the significance but certainly Tom Elmes the assistant coach / manager who is English would have been…

not to take away from the sporting achievement which is class, great job… needed some leadership back there which was significantly lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

We have no business knowing what happens in a dressing room, it's supposed to be a private safe area for a team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

I was very disappointed. We are trying to move forward. I believe a united Ireland is a part of that in the distant future. Ireland and the UK can still have a great relationship and support each other. No need for up the ra songs. Yes there was a time when we would all have been pro IRA as it was either you were with the IRA or the Brits but the past is the past and we have no choice but to let it go. There are people on the other side who feel similarly and those are the ones you connect and bond with and create strong relationships. The people who are stuck in the past or can't let go of their biases and be open, are the ones who suffer the most because they have to live like that 24/7. I don't think the girls did themselves any favours at all. Certainly didn't come across as having any common sense in that situation anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I tell ya who needs education. The clown who recorded it and the clown who shared it initially. It maybe the same person or indeed the people who allow recordings in the first place.

No doubt a stupid thing to be singing and based on the age profile of those girls very few were around at the height of it but people get caught up in the emotion of moments like that and do silly things.

You'll ear versions of that ditty at pubs and night clubs across the country some where every weekend. I don't think people even think of its significance any more.

English fans are always singing rule Britannia at their national games. It’s not a fringe element either it’s the entire stadium. Literally glorifying the murder of millions by the British empire. You never hear a word about that though. Although if you were to mention that they’d probably call you woke as they have nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Blah blah blah....

Next.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

These things make me lol as an outsider. Lad puts a pan of bread on the head nothing to see here. Both are just as bad I wager if it was a Orange order song or whatever they call themselves would be hand wringing city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,081 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I'd be skeptical of anyone under 50 who has never sung it sung it tbh when on the pints tbh.

Mixed feelings on it, I feel sorry for the girls to be dragged into this culture war bollocks as they clearly meant no malice, but also I am slightly annoyed by how naive they were to allow that to get out of the dressing room.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement