Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stranger parks motor cycle in front of my gate and accuses me of scratching it after I move it

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

It hasn't changed its for dealing with consumer disputes as it always has been.

Your post could have needlessly worried the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

Because that is something that simply doesn't happen on Boards.

What a bunch of fanny-flapping friggin ninnies!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Sono Topolino

I don't have insurance that would cover that so I have to hope that there is no damage, real or alleged, that he can tie to me.

Given that the would-be claimant would have to admit to breaking the law, the most he would recover are his costs so I agree it is unlikely that he will sue. Unless he is deluded or a lunatic, which is possible.

Thanks a million for your help everyone. I was scared out of my wits for a while there and this has provided a much needed reality check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

You are what is wrong with this country - you are blaming the victim here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Ireland in 2022.

Someone blocks your entrance with their bike. You move it and they threaten to sue you. I often wonder how far down the sh*thole does this country have to go in the future..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Just to clarify as you may have missed the facts at the start of the thread and it was a bit confused.

The OP arrived home and the pedestrian gate which is the only access to his flat was blocked by an illegally parked motorcycle.

He contacted AGS and they refused to help, incorrectly telling him it was a civil matter.

After hanging around outside for 45 minutes unable to get into his home he moved the motorcycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Would S.I. 182 of 1997 be of any relevance to the issue ?

Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) Regulations 1997.

Section 36 (2) (g)

A vehicle shall not be parked

g ) in any place, position or manner that will result in the vehicle obstructing an entrance or an exit for vehicles to or from a premises, save with the consent of the occupier of such premises;

Link S.I. No. 182/1997 - Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) Regulations, 1997 (irishstatutebook.ie)

PS. Why did Gardai think this to be a civil matter ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Is it just me? Wouldn't the bike only have to be moved a few inches in order to pass by it? The width of a someone's leg? Are we saying it was parked so incredibly close to the gate that there was no possible passing it? Seems incredibly weird.

Would genuinely be difficult to park a bike that close to a wall/gate.

• Advertisement

The gate is only big enough for one person as is. The bike was a good bit longer than the width of the gate and as it was parked right in front of the gate there was no way I could squeeze past.

Not sure how that is relevant though. I shouldn't have to squeeze past a motorbike to get into my home, right? What if I was carrying a suitcase or heavy/bulky shopping bags?

If I had known more about the laws on motorbike parking and parking generally I would have pushed the Garda I was speaking to more. I think the person I was on the phone to thought it was a trivial issue/intetpersonal dispute that did not warrant their time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Not saying you should have had to at all. Clearly the biker parking is in the wrong to block you off. But to not be able to squeeze by? It's literally a couple of inches.

Dick move by the biker? Absolutely. But from my reading of the thread, it seems you didn't need to do so much and could have moved it a few inches.

What part of "the bike is longer than the width of the gate" do you not get? It was completely blocking the entrance. You can either believe me or not - your call.

I only moved the bike such distance as was needed to get into my own home. That's all that should matter.

Not sure how that is relevant though. I shouldn't have to squeeze past a motorbike to get into my home, right? What if I was carrying a suitcase or heavy/bulky shopping bags?

Absolutely you should not have to squeeze past. What if you had been pushing a buggy with a baby, were visually impaired, or were a wheelchair user?

Even if you did scratch his precious bike, he has no one but himself to blame. Asshole. Let this be a lesson to him not to park across someone's entrance next time. Don't entertain him.

Was it wedged up against the gate also?

Not a word of yours do I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

They are chancers, to touch up a scratch on a motor bike, make a few 100, 1000 to 2000 not a hope, tell them you aren't going to pay them am penny and to park in a more considerate manner next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,014 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

Op. Tell the owner of the bike to go and do one.

Why would I lie about this when posting pseudonymously on an internet forum with several thousand active members? None of you know who I am so I don't exactly have a reputation to maintain here. I am reluctant to describe the outside of my home because I don't want it to be identifiable and for this thread to be used against me in court (I fear have already given far too many details as is). But that is not the same as lying.

I came here to get people's honest views about what happened. If lied, I would get unreliable feedback. Considering that nobody here claims to be a lawyer, any good faith opinions here come with a major health warning as is - so why would I dilute it even more by lying? If you think I'm lying, that's ultimately your prerogative but you're wasting your time trying to draw me into saying more than I have already said.

Post edited by Sono Topolino on

Advertisement