Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Therapy through zoom?

Options
  • 13-10-2022 2:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Looking at booking therapy/counselling and most offer it through zoom. I find it all very impersonal. What are peoples experiences?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I have experience of both delivering and receiving therapy through zoom or equivalent. As a therapist, I much prefer being in the room with someone. I only offer video sessions if I really have to. That being said, I've done good work online and people have had good outcomes, and I've done work where it just hasn't felt like it landed as well as it would in person.

Receiving therapy through zoom I personally found very difficult, but that was partly because the particular therapy required a lot of deep introspection and trying to connect with parts of myself, rather than a more talk-based therapy. In that case, both the therapist and I agreed that it wasn’t working so I discontinued.

I’d say all you can do is try, really. If it doesn’t work out, nothing will have been lost. If it does work out, great!

Advertisement