Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Bathroom Quotation

• 13-10-2022 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭

I hope this is the correct forum for this query.

We received two quotes for a new bathroom. One is 2k dearer than the other but the company we prefer is longer established, has a large showroom and the price includes a new pump, larger shower and better unit.

We were happy to proceed but they are looking for half payment before and the balance on completion. No real problem with that except they are looking for the balance in cash only.

We don't carry that amount of cash around with us obviously. Might be a stupid question but will the Bank (BOI) give out that amount to us ie 4.5k?

Is this arrangement not that unusual with plumbing companies/builders or is it a red flag.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Doolittle51

They're probably only declaring the initial payment, and the final payment will be off the books. Was there any mention of a cheaper price because you're paying cash?

No issue getting that amount from the bank, you could even withdraw it from an ATM, but you might need withdraw smaller sums over the course of a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

There is absolutely no issue withdrawing this type of money. You might want to phone ahead to have it ready for you but you can walk in off the street and still get it.

For me the €2k difference wouldn't bother me. I'd be more concerned about the quality of the work and if they use real tradesmen. Many bathroom companies will have the titer or a handyman doing the plumbing & even the electrical work. I'd rather pay the extra & have properly trained tradesmen.

Any electrical work in the bathroom needs to be done by a REC & certified. This doesn't just mean an electric shower. Electric blow heating, light fittings, mirrors with lights etc all need to be certed by RECI electrician.

I'd ask both companies about the tradesmen and the electrician in particular. A bad or dangerous job can look wonderful when they leave. It could be years later when someone gets electrocuted due to unqualified tradesmen.

I'm in the shower repair business. I'm in 5 to 8 bathrooms per day. You'd be stunned by what I have seen bathroom fitters do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭beachhead

Would agree with last post about quality/qualifications of people doing the work for you.Also,be very wary of handing over full payment on completion whether partly in cash or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Thanks for the responses and the heads-up about ensuring the work is properly certified. Never thought of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

• Advertisement
Advertisement