Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commercial rent insurance

Options
  • 13-10-2022 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi. I've been renting a retail unit for the last 4 years. No lease although there is now talk about doing one up. I am engaging with a solicitor for this so that's not an issue at the minute.

My landlord has given me a building insurance bill every year and I've paid it. This is separate to my own contents and PI insurance which I pay myself.

This is my first time in business and i think maybe I shouldn't have been paying this after all? I pay council rates and water rates that's separate

Any thoughts? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Allinall

It's generally stipulated in commercial leases that the tenant pays the building insurance.

However, it is very unusual to have a commercial property rented without a lease in place.

You could refuse to pay the insurance, but then the landlord could just change the locks and throw you out.

Advertisement