Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is there hostility towards centrists on social media?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

neoliberal polices have been implemented by both the left and right, over the last few decades, hence why the so called left is completely flummoxed on what to do about it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Where do I fall on the spectrum I wonder?

Big dorms and sending prisoners to live on an island? Firmly right-wing with fascistic tendencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

It honestly sounds more like Soviet Russia than anything.

Glazers Out!

It kind of does I suppose.

Lots of fair welfare, dorms for homeless people, and harsh treatment for violent criminals. What's not to like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,874 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I wouldn't bother interacting with them. They appear to have no knowledge of politics or history anyway.

"I never said any of those things" @nullzero - he knows that, it's part of his strategy to list all these things people didn't say or even imply, to wind them up and laugh at.

You don’t need to directly say something to imply it. If a person uses only historical communist regimes as examples of tyrannical governments it’s perfectly reasonable to point out that they’re implying communism has a monopoly on tyranny. That’s not trolling, and accusing someone of trolling for reading into a perfectly obvious implication is trolling itself, and arguing in bad faith.

But of course you already know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The reason I pointed out that accusing you of being right wing would feed into your persecution complex is because it would, and for the second time you make out that I’m accusing you of being right wing when I didn’t, and I don’t, because I wouldn’t characterise you as being right wing.

I wouldn’t characterise you as moderate, or centrist if you like, and I’m basing that assessment upon just your list of what you would do if you had the authority. In order to implement your ideas, you couldn’t be moderate, you’d have to work within the constraints of the current political framework where there isn’t any accommodation for moderates who, by virtue of the fact that they identify themselves as moderate, or centrist - they are opposed to the idea of upsetting the apple cart, or supporting policies that create massive shifts to either the left or the right. Banning members of the Dáil from voting on the issues you don’t want them to vote on is neither left, right nor moderate, it’s just authoritarian.

At best, I could characterise you as being the current online grifters favourite term when they fall out of favour with their former political allegiances - ‘politically homeless’. I couldn’t characterise you as an anarchist because that implies there might be some method to the madness of your proposals, that there is some foundation upon which they are built, but I don’t think there is. It’s as though you appear to want to rip up the Constitution and start again, or ignore the constraints of the Constitution completely, in order that you do you. I’d characterise your efforts as those of the far-left, but you’ll probably balk at that suggestion 😂

Your post exemplifies why people who self-identify as centrist or moderate, or neither left nor right are frustrating, because their ideas aren’t based upon any sort of precedent or foundation, and they have no real idea what they want to achieve, or what sort of a society they wish to bring about - economically, socially or politically. It’s just pie in the sky stuff. I don’t appreciate having to entertain people when I have no idea where they’re either coming from, or where they’re going, and in my experience, moderates, or centrists, tend to want to stand still - they’re in favour of maintaining the status quo which suits them, and oppose any kind of change in society.

That doesn’t mean I bear any hostility toward centrists, leftists or anyone who doesn’t share my political views, they’re frustrating, but they’re not any sort of credible threat to anyone other than themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I wonder which politicial parties see themselves as centrist.

• Advertisement

Whatever about how they see themselves, any party that's described as rightwing by clowns on the left, and as lefty liberals by jokers on the right, is neither. E.g. Fine Gael. Very much a centrist party.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I really don't get this. FG, much like FF, are on every bandwagon when it comes to left wing social issues, yet they are in the center? No one would call parties who do the same with ring wing social issues centrist, they'd likely even be called "far right".

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

I wouldn't describe them as leftwing overall, but they're FAR from rightwing, as idiots claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Agreed. The right wing claim seems to be largely because they are capitalists, or "neo liberals" as many call them now. And neo liberals are supposedly right wingers, or so they say.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Yes, economically they are to the right... bar a fairly generous welfare pot. When I'd see pillocks (both right and left) foaming at the mouth about Leo V for no coherent reason, while in receipt of PUP... pigheaded stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

So I have a question for the OP: is this a conversation for discussing centrism and criticizing the hostility on social media or is it simply a vessel for inciting such hostilities by constantly slagging the “others” you are othering all across the thread with colorful insults?

given the title of the thread I find this MO peculiar. Are you trying to summon the very hostilities you are complaining about by producing hostilities of your own I don’t understand.

many I suggest: if this is how you constantly talk about other people on social media that may be why you experience so much “hostility” on social media - the point of the thread. I think we’ve cracked it.

The first one I don't understand why you're including that when all it is is highlighting a member's very deliberate strategy (of misrepresenting people) that is exceptionally clear to see.

The rest of it - I asked the question at the start to see why there can be hostility towards centrists, if there are any genuine arguments for this. No answers with reasonable grounds (one now banned loon said if they had a gun with two bullets to shoot a fascist and a centrist they'd shoot the centrist twice) were forthcoming so then I gave my views. And yes, they're negative. I think people who have a huge problem with centrists are just stupid and pigheaded, and resentful of our critical thinking skills, and can't cope with people not picking a side. The latest one I saw is a far right twat on Twitter. Watching him twist himself into knots with just insults while others calmly take him down is a joy to behold.

I included the first one because you’re accusing others of winding people up to laugh at them. But I see that MO in all your posts about all sorts of people types you’ve othered.

If you don’t have the same strategy why do you have the same strategy is my question. You’re doubling down right now with the insults.

Nail on the head.

I think people who have a huge problem with centrists are just stupid and pigheaded, and resentful of our critical thinking skills, and can't cope with people not picking a side.

this line in particular shows a lack of critical thinking and fallacious arguments. Hasty conclusions, sweeping generalizations, speaking for a grand unspecified number of others, etc.

“Twat” was another one.

That poster loves accusing me of bullying, when I have never bullied a single person in my life. I’m pretty sure I never called anyone an idiot or a twat or a moron or anything like that, bar public figures such Ben Shapiro, Charlie Kirk etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Funny how we have someone defending the honor of a person who is happy to assign beliefs to people with nothing other than their own biases as evidence and make their own sweeping generalisations about others.

These issues are always polarising but the level of dou le think that goes on all around is astonishing.

Glazers Out!

Who's honor am I allegedly defending?

The OP of this thread is complaining about attitudes in social media that they harbor themselves, it's prima facie in their posts. All I've done is cop to that and ask why they are doing that.

These issues are always polarising but the level of dou le think that goes on all around is astonishing.

Indeed, much like someone complaining about hostility on social media engaging in hostilities on social media, calling people pigheaded, being abusive to other members so much so it required thread moderation, etc.

I don’t really understand why you’re still so chippy about our interaction yesterday when all I have ever done is contradict you when you kept implying Communist countries are the only tyrannical governments in town.

If you that annoys you so much you should stop making that implication, such as when you said Ads by Google’s authoritarian fantasies reminded you of the Soviet Union. Again, I say all of this as someone who is decidedly not a Communist.

I don’t know what it is but some posters, and I include the OP in this, really need to put their egos aside and get over the fact that someone will contradict them or correct them when they are wrong. It’s not a personal attack, it’s not trolling, it’s not bullying. It’s debate. It’s discussion. It’s the exchange of ideas.

Unfortunately the OP has prima facie decided, as recorded in as many posts above, that anyone who isn't a centrist like them is simply an idiot, pigheaded, etc. and worthy of open derision - 'but why doesn't anyone like 'centrists' on social media? Why is everyone so hostile?'

I posit the problem is not Centrism.

Anyone who "hates" centrists, not anyone who isn't a centrist like I am. That's very dishonest of you OH?

Does anyone "hate" centrists?

Is this a real problem or a strawman purpose made to drag this thread along

Has anyone on this thread, in 178 posts, expressed hatred and derision for centrism and centrists particularly? Can you give us any examples of this hate-speech? The OP of this thread was certainly incredibly bare on details even on what kind of 'hate' you were trying to import into thread to openly discuss.

"'but why doesn't anyone like 'centrists' on social media? Why is everyone so hostile?'

I posit the problem is not Centrism."

But I'm talking about people whom I haven't engaged with, whom I see attacking others for being centrists. So... um... le fail again.

And do address Nullzero's point: why come down so hard on me but not the people who posted (long before I gave my view) "Centrists are simply people who won't admit they're right-wing neoliberal types, whether it be cowardice or they're just too thick to realise it. They're too slow to realise that the Blair/Ahern/Clinton neoliberal "end of history" era is over, and it's never coming back" and "I’ve always thought “centrist” was just a euphemism for people who are too ashamed of their right leaning views. People saying things like ‘oh, I’d be socially left but economically right’. As if to apologise and say I’m not all bad".

Okee?

But I'm talking about people whom I haven't engaged with, whom I see attacking others for being centrists. So... um... le fail again.

lol so let me clarify you're not injured by any 'attacks on centrists' but you started this thread anyone to bemoan it?

Your OP lacked any evidence of such. "Is it because they appear to be devils' advocates? Fence sitters? Bothsides-ers?"

Can you evidence these attacks on people for being centrists? That seems central to the whole thread. But you've spent vastly more time just referring to these 'others' who have not been cited or heard from as being pigheaded etc.

Hence: Strawman Argument. As though you've made up fantasy persons out of whole cloth to bemoan and call pig headed to self validate that 'centrists are the real critical thinkers' etc. - bereft of appreciation for the irony.

why come down so hard on me

Is this 'coming down hard?' To ask you bare questions to the OP about their thread and the thread MO?

OP of thread complains about hostilities on social media, openly engages in hostilities in social media.

That's the interest to me, not centrism per se. We all overlap with centrism in some form right. I spoke to this days earlier on the thread and have been on the lurk.

People who hate centrists are whom I've always meant. Nothing changed in that regard - why are you pretending this is just a new thing from me? And as I've said already (weird how you ignore) this doesn't relate to people here - moreso Twitter. An anger at level-headed people. Apart from one here all right who's now banned - the guy (whom I already mentioned) that talked about using two bullets on a centrist.

• Advertisement

That “if I had was locked in a room with two people I hate and had two bullets I would shoot X person twice” is a really old joke. There’s no way that person said it and mean it.

Advertisement