Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grey reg plates

• 14-10-2022 11:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭calum

Some folk in our street have recently fitted grey reg plates to both their cars. Regardless of whether they're legal, just curious as to whether these are meant to serve any practical purpose? (Pic isn't great, but you can see the contrast with the white "IRL".)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbolounge

Yes, they serve a purpose. They let you know the driver is a right s©umbag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,242 ✭✭✭User1998

I’m seeing these reg plates everywhere now. It’s literally impossible to read the numbers until the car is very close.

Why do you care about other peoples reg plates and how does it make them a scumbag? Why not just mind your own business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,660 ✭✭✭✭Esel

What are we supposed to be looking at in the pics?

I have seen plates where the reg no. is grey from side angles, only looks black when viewed straight on. Is this what you are talking about?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Seen a couple around recently myself.

I'd guess the Guards couldn't be arsed to stop drivers and tell them to get them changed.

I would say there is a possibility that these wouldn't be recognised by speed cameras? Would that be the reason for them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Assuming that they change back to legal plates for the NCT this seems to be a job for AGS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭handpref

You’d wonder why we bother abiding by the rules and regulations, maybe it’s the sense of entitlement to make a conscious decision to break the rules that attracts attention, if you think the regs don’t matter for plates that may likely lead to a general couldn’t give a fook attitude on a lot of things - road rules, road safety, texting and driving yada yada…They do often work as an early warning device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭calum

No, these are grey from all angles, although the grey appears to be somewhat reflective like regular white plates are.

So, instead of a white background, it's a grey background? Or are you talking about the letters and digits (as I was)?

Not your ornery onager

Its a dark grey background with black digits and an incorrect font.

Because its black on dark grey its near impossible to read the numbers from a distance

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Arnout

I've also seen blue plates. Mostly older registrations, is that also something fancy or just discoloured over time?

Speaking of legibility issues: how about motorcycles with the tax disc covering half the registration number?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭Miscreant

It is all a matter of enforcement, or lack thereof.

Maybe I should apply for a job in that field, instead of trying to find a job as accountant on a foreign qualification... I could spend all day issuing tickets for illegal number plates, not using indicators and DYL violations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

The Blue ones are when the protective sheeting is not removed from the plate. The perspex comes with a thin blue plastic protective film....although I'm sure a couple of people just don't bother removing it, a higher percentage probably consider it improves the look of the Car ????

The Motorcycle issue is none of your business, and should never be mentioned here again 😏

There isn't really any enforcement regarding 'illegal' number plates. Most guards will simply tell you that they won't pass the NCT. It seems that because the style and size of Plate fall under Revenue's remit the Guards prefer to stay out of it......unless they have a load of other issues with either your Driving or your Car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Casati

I had a pair of them (so maybe I'm a scumbag?), got rid during covid as passing a lot of checkpoints and didn't want to draw attention.

Not sure about speed camera's but for sure they aren't readable by the camera's used at the manned tolls. Agree with others that they are very hard to read from any distance and practically impossible to read at night

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭M3CS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That’s where they’ve left the protective plastic on.

edit: already answered above, can’t delete posts now…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,673 ✭✭✭✭zell12

We have strict legislation and from Revenue

And it is Customs/Revenue who are supposed to enforce it

The Revenue Commissioners can fine you up to €5,000 for registration plates that do not comply with the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

On the topic of reg plates, the 4D plates have quickly become very popular. Seem to be the only plates that have become a trend. Normally you'd see the odd German plate or pressed plate here and there, maybe a different font. Now it seems like every second car here has those 4D yokes. A detailing place near me throws them onto everything. They look silly.

They're not just on some shitbox 10 year old 520D either they're on bloody everything, even newer Jags, Mercs etc.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭ofcork

Saw those grey ones on an A6 today very hard to read.

I bought 4D plates too for my car. I used to have similar plates when it was registered in the Netherlands (so up to last month ;) ). They've existed a very long time there (the only alternative is pressed plates - all Dutch plates are metal). One thing I do note, is that the letters and numbers on Dutch plates have the sides at an angle, if that's the correct way to describe it. Whereas the Irish plates have them cut straight. As a result, if looking at the plate from an angle it quickly becomes a big lump of black, whereas with the Dutch plate you don't notice it as much. It helps of course that the Dutch mandatory font is bigger and spaced further apart (only 6 characters excluding hyphens have to fit on the plate, that helps), but even then, they're 4mm high while my Irish plates have 3mm high characters. There was also the option of 5mm for the Irish ones, that's just too much.

The spacing can't really be changed (unless the registration system here is changed to a more sensible system - just baffling that a country with such a small population has the longest registration numbers in Europe), but it would already help to cut the letters and numbers at an angle (which probably means casting them instead of cutting them, so an entirely different production process).

See photo below what I mean about Dutch plates. If somebody wants to see a photo taken at an angle, just let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

On the 4D plate, is the registration number affixed to the plate like we had back 50 years ago (which were always breaking and falling off) or are they just extremely deeply pressed plates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

They're straight up illegal. White background, black text, blue/gold EU symbol, nothing else. And probably the most specific legislation in Ireland:

As for the 4D plates, they'll only confuse the eyes, not the cameras. But are a red light for interested Gardai. And I'd imagine the reason they don't prosecute for them is because of the backlash they get for prosecuting speeding, so I can imagine some snowflakes losing it over getting a fine for illegal numberplates.

I asked in a previous one, but why change them? Why do you have to be so special to be different to everyone else?

They're glued on, and it's a plastic plate, not a metal one. Which is another difference with the Dutch plates, where they're riveted on and as a fail-safe (indeed in case one comes across a bollard or someone elses tow hitch) the plates are pressed (with a thin stroke, so it fits underneath the plastic letters) and inked as well, so the registration is still clear (enough). In the olden days, pre EU plates I think, if for example the bottom half of an X fell off, it was indeed impossible to determin whether it was supposed to be an X or a Y, so they've come up with a solution for that.

For example (the Z has fallen off here). Still needs to be replaced, but in the meantime at least the vehicle isn't driving around with an incorrect registration:

Its not hard to understand why someone would change their plates. Some people take pride in their cars and want to stand out or modify their car to their liking or make their car their own. Its like asking why did you paint the front of your house or why did you get a fancy new golfing bag. It all depends on your interests. I actually think the grey plates look really good on certain cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭beachhead

The righteous approach.boards never fails.They are illegal that says enough about the keeper.If,we had a police force enforcing the law it wudn't be happening with any kind of mods

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭ThreeGreens

Why are they called 4D plates? Why not 3D if referring to the fact that they have depth (as well as height and width). What's the fourth dimension on the plate?

So I suppose having a dodgy box or streaming movies makes you a scumbag now too …

I just think people need to worry more about themselves than what strangers are doing.

They are 4D because they travel through time as well..... 😋

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Or smell? Or they have water jets like those VR "roller coaster"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭kirving

I design test systems for infrared cameras as party of my job. Speed cameras use Infrared cameras so as not to flash and blind drivers, so the cameras are sensitive to IR too.

Some black plastics (cough 4D plates....) are almost totally transmissive to IR light, and would be very difficult to see with an IR camera. Think of the plastic front of a remote control.

The reverse is a little harder - optically transparent, but blocking IR. But, many semi-transparent films block IR light pretty well. Most of the cameras work around 950nm, so using a window tinting film will reduce their effectiveness big time. Likely to such a point that the ANPR will not work (as it's set to look for black on white)

Couldn't care less what people do to their cars (aside from tinted drive windows) , but reducing the contrast of the numbers against the background immediately leads to them being less readable by cameras and people. The cars are less identifiable as a result, so in a hit and run situation, they are harder to trace.

So, some 'enthusiast' with dodgy plates knocks your mother down or damaged your parked car in a hit and run. Witnesses could not make out the car's registration. Fine by you?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Obviously people can modify their cars as they choose but it's clear people choose to do it outside of the confines of the law. I pass a BMW driving to work that uses modified fog lights as headlights and the headlights are just those daytime angel eyes. I've seen a handful of cars with front tints too.

Body kits, wheels, vinyl wraps, suspension, seats, engine mods, remaps, sound systems and so on, plenty of legal ways to mod your car to make it your own.

I wouldn't exactly class someone putting a trendy number plate on their car as someone who wants to stand out.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

Both those choices you've saidare legal. Yes, it's a minor thing, but its still law. We don't get to pick and choose which ones we follow or not. Who draws the line on which laws we should be allowed ignore?

Don't get me wrong, I like a nicely modified car. But doing something illegal just because it looks cool is no excuse.

The reason the Guards don't prosecute for illegal plates has already been mentioned in this very Thread (more than once). It's Revenue's job to enforce the Law regarding Number Plates....not the Guards.

And who do you think sends the reports to Revenue? Or are you saying you can only be done for illegal plates if its a revenue checkpoint? They never told me that in Templemore.

• Advertisement

Aving a dodgy ticker too.the righteous are marching

the guards don't prosecute for a lot offences in Ireland or maybe they cannot remember them all.Over/under size characters on plate,wrong colours.Also,what about wipers,lights,damage panels-some sticking out and a danger to pedestrians,cyclists.Having dodgy plates must be a minor issue.Tax and Insurance counts as major major offence

If you got 5% of takings or even 1% you'd be laughing

Big difference between sitting on your sofa and driving a car

They don't prosecute for everything because they don't have the time. If they were to prosecute for everything, I reckon 90% of people driving would be off the road within 12 months, because I'm convinced at least that many are either willfully or ignorantly breaking multiple road traffic laws every time they drive. It's literally impossible to enforce every law. But that's not my point. They barely have enough time to prosecute larger crimes. And that's why we have a traffic corp roads policing unit specifically mainly working traffic. But they don't do a "proper" job apparently, not catching the "real" criminals. Can't win.

My point is why are we ok with people willfully breaking the law just because something looks cool? Why does the person who does that feel entitled to knowingly break the law? They do it because they know they'll most likely get away with it because it's minor. But then throw a hissy fit when some Garda does decide to prosecute them. But that's human nature to not care about anyone or anything but yourself. So I expect it. I find these minor breaches of law to be indicative of the type of person they are, the more they breach these minor laws, license plates, indicating, proper lane management, etc, the more likely they are on the higher end of the absolute bell-end scale.

• Advertisement

So now you're admitting that the Guards cannot prosecute someone for illegal number plates. A bit of an about-turn on your previous comments in this thread.

But if you have had the training you allege to have had surely you would have known this all along......it's hard to believe someone who claims to have once been a member of AGS when they don't appear to know the Law 😁

No prosecutions for 10 years up until last year.

Change the legislation, it is a job for AGS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,704 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Somebody should tell the Minister about how the cool lads put on their 'good' plates for the NCT and then swap back to their 'cool' plates for the rest of the year.

Yes but we can't blame the NCT testers who can only test the vehicle as presented.

In the meantime there are cars driving around with plates that are clearly illegal some of which can't be read by cameras and others that are illegible to other road users.

Then we have the UK numbers printed onto Irish style plates and God knows what they are about.

All the dodgy plate users can easily outfox the NCT and clearly are not getting caught by Revenue so the obvious answer is to change the legislation and give the job to AGS.

That is if we are serious.

What are you on about? How did you get me admitting they can't do anything out of what you quoted? Or are you just being pedantic that AGS submit the information and Revenue prosecute? Because AGS still have a role in the prosecution there. Yeah, you're just being pedantic and trying to act all high and mighty about it.

And I couldn't give a fiddlers what you believe or not. I've nothing to prove to an internet cool guy. But continue to pretend to know more than you do. I'm sure you know the exact process involved so be a good chap and inform us.

The so called traffic corp that you refer to are not a new force magicked up from somewhere.They are regular Gardai seconded into it whether they wanted to or not.The Gardai in general are not interested in prosecuting or investigating if it involves too much of their time.Excdeptions,of course are murders(mostly)gun crime(mostly)rape(a lot).Road traffic offences are way down the list unless you kill or injure someone.

I never said they weren't. And yes, that's how most positions are filled when you start off in AGS. I wouldn't say they're not interested, more they don't have the time. As you noted, most road traffic stuff is minor and not worth the hassle or time, especially when our legal profession is so good at finding loopholes and our judges don't drive themselves so don't encounter the minor issues that everyone else deals with daily.

In my 10 years, I never had enough time to do files and even less time to actually police for road traffic stuff. People act like angels when they see a marked car. Well, most. There's always idiots who can't even see them. If there were a lot more FCN offences, I'd imagine the numbers would go up, but such simple things require a court case.

But back to my point, the ex-Traffic Corp now Roads Policing Unit mainly concentrated on traffic offences, setting up those pesky checkpoints to catch people who believe they shouldn't have to pay the same as everyone else, how dare they. Their bread and butter was intoxicated driving and checkpoints. They didn't decide where to go and where to set up checkpoints, directions come from above but people act like it's the individual Garda setting it up. They certainly assisted the regular and other units, but when dispatching I was only "allowed" to send them to traffic incidents save for an emergency (and no, what most people consider an emergency usually isn't in the larger picture).

And to end what is turning out to be longer than intended, these small issues being let off lead to, imo, people getting too relaxed and breaking even more laws, and wherever they get that entitlement from. But it again paints a picture of what that person is really like imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Unsupervised

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Unsupervised

Checked. Seems not

the IRL needs to be on a blue background gold stars

I love the little "these plates will not pass the NCT" warning on the page there. How are there so many of these plates on the road then? I doubt everyone is swapping plates before the test and then swapping them back?

• Advertisement
Advertisement