Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD 6800XT: Still worth it?

Options
  • 14-10-2022 4:07pm

New gen Nvidia launches and I am still on my trusty GTX1080 and it is running great on my 1080p screen.

Now I have a 1440 and you can see where it is starting to struggle so thinking of upgrading, with black friday coming and a new generation of cards coming out (along with crypto crash) I am hoping to pick up a nice current gen card.

Hoping to see the 6800XT drop in price a bit, in the coming weeks, so wondering if it is still a good bet to get or am I mad staying with this Gen?

Have an AMD 5 3600, B450 Board, and EVGA 750GQ PSU, with the GTX1080

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It is still a decent GPU but as you said about waiting for black Friday is the right thing to do. And also only buy it if it is a decent price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

I'd wait until AMD announce their cards on November 3rd. Then you'll known what's going to be available this side of Xmas and can choose accordingly.

If you don't care about RT then the 6800XT is a very capable card.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

It's also a GPU that I am currently tempted by.

You could wait for November 3rd for the new line of AMD cards to see if anything is interesting there, but for the 6000 range has had their price cuts already announced. Granted I havn't seen anywhere actually implement them yet. Not sure about someone saying Black Friday. That hasn't ever been a time to see GPUs go on sale or drop in price in any meaningful way?

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I've got a RX 6800 non XT coupled with a Ryzen 3700x and it easily handles max settings at 60+ FPS in 99% of games at 1440p when you exclude ray tracing settings. I've just upgraded to a 3440x1440 monitor and for the most part the non XT 6800 handles that very well.

So with a XT version you will easily be able to handle 1440P on all current gen games.

Just to give you an idea of Ray Tracing performance just in case you want an idea.

You will be able to use Ray tracing in some games at 1440p.

For example Doom Eternal and Resident Evil 2/3/7/Village should all be doable above 60 FPS with RT. Believe the RT implementation in Far Cry 6 is pretty light as well.

Deathloop I ran at 1440P with RT enabled and the levels set early in the day ran at 60FPS+ but later night time levels saw drops to the mid 40 FPS in certain area's. Frame rate dipped almost as badly without RT in the same sections. FSR 2 and has since been added and greatly helps in keeping the FPS above 60FPS on my card. Not perfect mind but Freesync helps with the minor sub 60FPS dips.

With with the like of Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition I've to use the in game temporal upsampling from about 90% screen resolution to hit 60FPS with console equivalent ray tracing settings. The 6800XT might not need to use temporal up sampling.

GhostWire Tokyo. Games supports FSR 2.1 and Intel XeSS so decent ray tracing settings are possible and the game does look fantastic. Sadly its in my experience terribly prone to having the frame rate tank when certain enemies attack regardless of whether ray tracing been enable or not. Just not a well optimized game.

Hitman 3: RT Shadows are light weight and could be used without too much of performance hit but they are a very subtle affect, but RT reflections are a killer. Even when using low resolution option for shadows its very demanding and 60FPS would be beyond the 6800XT even with the aid of Intel XeSS and FSR 2.1.

Cyberpunk 2077. You will be to use the Ultra preset with the RX 6800XT and hit a good solid 60FPS+ without ray tracing at 1440p. FSR 2 is coming to the game in the next patch so you might be able to run RT shadows with FSR 2 in quality mode and maintain 60FPS. Swapping in RT reflections and dropping down to FSR 2 balanced mode and you might get 60FPS as well. Any combination of RT effects or RT lighting on its own is probably beyond the RX 6800XT to run anywhere near 60FPS even with the aid of FSR

• Advertisement
Advertisement