Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Honda Civic e:HEV

• 14-10-2022 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Any news on when coming to Ireland or price?

Post edited by liamog on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 pjackson

I contacted Clonskeagh Motors about 4 weeks ago. They had no information re availability or pricing at that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

I contacted Honda Ireland over 2 months ago, still waiting on any update re new civic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭Tech_Head

I got a call back last week. Demo cars should be hitting showrooms next month for Jan / Feb orders.

No idea yet on prices yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭JohnC.

What's e-hev? Better not be what I'm imagining...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Another nonsense "Self Charging" hybrid from japan.

Give it over, ye're 20 years late to the party

Honda Civic Hybrid 2022 Reviews | Expert Opinions - Honda UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Comer1

Starting at £30,000, approximately what would that be in Ireland?

That’s the big question. Looking at other UK cars it’ll be around €44/45k

Honda are pricing themselves out of the market. Jazz starting at just shy of €30,000 here (£21,000 in UK) so yea, that would put the Civic starting in the low to mid 40K range. I bought my last middle range Accord in 2013 for €36,000 and my last Civic 1.5 (180BHP) in 2017 for €29,500.

When will the madness end?😐️

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ddcluracan

Isn't that a little disingenuous, I don't remember Honda ever advertising their cars as "self charging". As for the price its direct competitor the corolla hybrid starts around €30K and goes up to €39K. If as somebody mentioned that it would be €44/€45K that's CR-V territory. I am actually intrigued by this car. No gearbox just electric motors driving the wheels until high speed/motorways. It could tempt some people away from diesel while not quite ready for full EV.

• Advertisement

Actually just noticed the Honda.ie site has cleared all their prices so increases are probably on the way.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's just another full hybrid entering the market many years too late. Better than the mild-hybrids companies are releasing for compliance reasons but not by much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Look at the link he posted. It's a Honda site. It describes the car as self-charging. "The all-new Honda Civic e:HEV arrives this autumn. The dynamic self-charging, full hybrid hatchback complements the Civic's design and technology with exhilarating, electrified power."

I haven’t had a dealer quote a price beyond that it’ll be more expensive. I compared the £30k to other cars between £25-35k to come up with my figure.

They’re aiming for the more premium market I believe so will be pricier than the Corolla. New Corolla out next year too I think so expect that to be pricier too.

They seem to have discontinued the Type R for Ireland too so no manual Civics at all anymore.

Okay, sorry I was not looking at the UK Honda site. Ultimately though it will be the price that determines its success not whether it uses the dreaded "self charging" moniker in its marketing. We shall wait and see.

I don’t mind the self charging piece. It’s a mid way car really.

The engine is a generator for the battery. That gives decent mpg (reviews confirm) and no range anxiety. I’m sure there’s a market for that.

Any experience at the dealers? Both they and Honda Ireland have seemed less than interested about the car when I ask about it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's called a series hybrid, they've been around for a good while. At the end of the day, it's just another petrol-powered car. I don't expect this car to have any meaningful effect on Honda's Irish sales numbers.

I think the technology is aimed at developing markets to lower fuel consumption where full electrification is too expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

The problem with price is that the Civic name was associated with a Corolla/Focus sized car.

However the car that's rolled up this time looks more of a traditional Avensis hatchback class of car..

For added confusion the actual original Civics from the 70s when Honda were not actually in Ireland were actually Fiesta/Renault 5 sized cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,330 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I don't expect this car to have any meaningful effect on Honda's Irish sales numbers.

No harm there. Its so boring anyway that anyone buying one has probably giving up on life.

Honestly the current Civic and the two models before it both look far more modern and stylish both inside and outside than this boring Civic so if Honda want to price themselves out of the market let them. I have no problem with that. The less of these on the roads the better.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

I totally disagree with the comment about how boring the new Civic us compared with the current and previous models. I think it's a clean elegant design both on the exterior and interior. Each to their own I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Jasper79

I think it looks really well, and the engine setup is intriguing. I've been told mid November for Launch models and pricing towards end of November. Disappointing when other markets are already taking orders and some delivered. Pricing will be key, I think once they push over the 40k they are competing with full on electric cars and for alot of people, me included the car won't make much sense. Still will go for a test drive once available.

I dropped into Clonskeagh Motors this evening. They had a grey base model (Elegance) on the floor which they had brought in from the UK and which a customer has bought. The price quoted was (wait for it) €46,800. However they still don't having confirmed Irish pricing from Universal Honda or availability dates. I am not sure how they got to a price of nearly 47K for their showroom car. The Elegance model is on the VRT calculator at just over €5K and with that based on the current exchange rate and allowing for the 3% VAT rate difference I get to a price of between 40K and 41K including metallic for the Elegance model. At that price I might be interested but if it is more like 47K I will be looking elsewhere. The distributor would really want to get its act together if they want to shift some metal in 2023.

Given that it was in UK I wonder if someone (ie Revenue) is deciding that a 10 percent WTO tariff is due.

Because it wasn't built in UK.

So potentially Revenue or someone treating this Civic as an import from UK that wasn't built there.

10 percent WTO tariff plus 1 to 2 k delivery charge would make up the difference imo.

Why you'd bring in a car that way is beyond me.*

But if a good customer really wanted a car and were willing to pay then all bets are off.

*its arrived and a price calculated before the availability and pricing even confirmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭creedp

Just had a look at the French website and base model is 32.3K. With 3% additional VRT and c. 5K VRT and allowing for delivery and metallic I reckon it would be bang on 40K if Universal Honda don't add on a rip off margin. I've emailed them to see if they can offer any timeline re pricing and availability.

Donnellys, Ballymena have a Sport model advertised for approx. £31k or €36.5k (before vrt etc)

Was in a honda dealership today.

Salesman told me they are not getting any cars until December. No pricing details yet.

They will only be selling the top of the range Advance model. Apparently there are no rhd models available for the Irish market with the standard instrument cluster in kph!

The Advance has a digital cluster which can either have mph or kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 shabaranks

More than a little interested in one of these, need to replace a diesel but not ready for Electric, this seems a good compromise. Spoke with a dealer in the west today who explained that he was pulling his hair out with the lack of info from Honda. No pricing but confirmed it will be top spec only in the short term. The 'cluster' issue is why the HRV replacement isn't here also. His expectation (with some apologies) was that this will retail for high €40's. Not so long ago that was Type R money.

• Advertisement

Can you charge at home.....

If so then a plug in hybrid might suit you.

Just putting it out there.

The Kia Niro is worth a look as a PHEV or if Kia have started offering it in Ireland standard non plug in hybrid.

Kia don't use a CVT gearbox either which some people find a turn off on hybrid Toyotas.

Of course the Toyota hybrid are still a very good choice for ICE driving - proven reliability due to very mature technology - 25 years they've been doing hybrid for since original Prius.

That seems to be a dodgy excuse, Japan is RHD and use kph. Whatever the reason it is obvious the Irish market is fairly down the food chain.

Funny you mention it because the Niro PHEV and the new Prius PHEV just announced were also on the list. The point for me is to try to find some value out there when the price tag on most new cars seems to have jumped two generations in one, and second hand prices remain 'unattractive'.

"retail for high €40's"

Currently driving an ID.3 but I loved my Hondas, having owned 10 Civics and 3 Accords since 1996. But near €50K for a Civic is just insane. The fact that people are considering paying that just demonstrates how desensitized people have become to the crazy prices cars are at the moment. As a hybrid, it will probably only do about 55mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Would it not be a bit mad to spend €40k+ on a non plugin hybrid when there's 400km EVs for that money? At €30-35k fair enough but there's some good EV options now.

The new Civic sounds like a lovely car but I don't quite get the "not ready for electric" in 2022. Obviously it doesn't suit everyone but if you can charge at home and aren't a sales rep driving around Ireland all day then an EV should work for most people, this isn't early days Leaf where you're doing 90kph to make it home at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Jasper79

Yes. This. For low to high 40k there are some good evs same power and spec as the civic and lower cost to run. I do like this gen civic and been waiting for its release in Ireland but that pricing if/when official just won't make sense to most people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,330 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Especially as it is not even fully electric. If it was fully electric with a big range then maybe it might be worth that as the new Renault Megane has gone up a good bit in price to but at least its now fully electric.

Big mistake from Honda but maybe they just do not want to sell them here anymore.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

On the UK Honda site, the Advance with nothing extra added bar metallic paint, is coming in at £35,000, which would suggest around €47,000 here. It doesn't seem to have much more in the line of extras over my basic ID.3 life.

Ok, I know I am not the average commuter but the decision is not quite so clear cut. It really depends on cost of finance versus cost of fuel/electricity and also availability. Earlier this year I tried to buy an EV. I received grant money after doing a Retrofit on my home. My daily commute varies from 160km to 250km. 75% of which is motorway. Considering that to preserve battery life, one should charge to 80% regularly, you could lose 20% range due to weather conditions and there is no workplace charging. I determined that the WLTP range of the car should be 500km. When I ordered an EV6 the price was 52,650 (incl dealer charges and delivery). But of course it was delayed and the price went up. I cancelled the order.

Now I hear the Civic will be priced between 40 and 45K. Lets assume after dealer charges it will be 47K. My down payment was going to be 20K. Assuming a 5 year loan at 4.9%. The EV unit rates are from Bonkers.ie this morning, existing customer using Electric Ireland day/night tariff. The fuel prices were at a forecourt I saw yesterday. The consumption figures are not official. I raised them to take account of motorway driving. Except for my existing diesel car which is accurate. The Actual cost row means the cost of the car loan after the saving in fuel costs. At the moment there is a 42 Euro difference per month between getting a hybrid or an electric car. The electric car just wins right now. But if you have to wait a year for delivery? What will happen to fuel and electricity prices then? And/or interest rates?

What conclusion to take from this? It's a really bad time to need a new car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭creedp

Just shows, despite some people clambering for introducing further disincentives for ICEs in order for EVs to be more attractive proposition for more people, EVs are currently significantly incentivised in Ireland. If you compared like for like, a €45k Civic would cost in the region of €35k if incentivised in the same way as an EV. If equivalent priced EVs were in ready supply they would fly out the door like hot cakes. So a ready supply of reasonably priced EVs is the primary obstacle against further EV adoption in Ireland not the current level of incentives which are primarily subsidising manufacturers for peddling larger extremely expensive EVs in Ireland.

This is more about the new Civic being priced high in the market vs other ICE cars.

Especially with Honda coming to the party with a 2 litre 180 bhp engine.

Then it is about EV incentives.

• Advertisement

Not ready for electric for the very reason you mention. 33% of my driving are long trips from the south to Dublin /Belfast / Sligo etc. The ability to fill up with fuel in 5 mins and be gone vs the hope for the best Charger situation when you don't have time to plan remains a negative for me. Also if I'm on a motorway I'm doing 120 not hypermiling along. Zero issue with the concept of electric, its just a fuel source, but the practicalities have draw backs for someone like me.

I've drawn a line under the Civic at this stage. Spoke to a different garage Friday, with the colour of your choice and dealer add on's this will be €50k retail.Just crazy money for what it is, plus real world reviews of motorway MPG less than stellar. Likely to go down the PHEV route with the Niro looking like a decent option.

That's it. This is not about ICE vs full electric. It's about value for money. If you are in the market for an ICE car, you can get a hell of a lot more car than a Civic if you are spending 50K!

Post edited by Comer1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

I remember when I bought my Civic GT S spec in 2017, they were great value, considering they were fully loaded. Think the list price here was around 31K but iirc they could be bought for 28K or so. Same spec in UK was I think about 28K sterling, which was more expensive after conversion at the time.

For the hp and spec there was little could touch it here at the time, pity if all that is going to change..

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭elgicko

I rang a Honda garage in the summer, can't remember which one, I was interested in the new civic, they told me they were "retiring" their Honda dealership, due to lack of innovation, sales and price of new cars, chap (nice lad) told me the new civic would be 50k. I couldn't believe it! I was expecting 35k.

I bought a 2013 diesel civic (high spec), low Kms in the UK in 2017 for about 10k all in, still have it, reliable, efficient car!

I switched tack and ordered a new MG4 (full electric) in October for €29.5k, I will keep my current civic as well.

Can't justify 50k for a civic folks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Wow the money for these seems mental if it’s what’s being touted at over 45k. All reviews seem great and from what I can see it is basically what an accord would be if it were still here.

I just don’t see how they can sell this here with the civic name when it looks like it has moved up a class. People will see the name and compare it to the golf and focus etc. By all accounts it is better than both but that won’t matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dmb2022

I also called into Clonskeagh Motors a few weeks ago and saw the new Civic in the Elegance trim. I was told that there is three trim levels, Elegance, Sport and Advance. The base Elegance model in the showroom was over EUR46K. I was told the Sport would be EUR48/49K, and that the Advance would be at least EUR51K (this is the only model coming to Ireland). He is getting these cars from the UK as the Irish distributor is being very slow in launching the car here. I couldn't believe these prices so I rang another Honda dealer to sense check these, and he seemed to think that these would be in line with what would be the official distributor pricing. The new Civic has been launched in Germany where the Elegance starts at EUR32.9K and the Sport is around EUR37.9K. Not sure how Honda Ireland could ever stand over the above pricing - even with the general increase in car prices across the board. I have had 2 Civics up til now but if I was spending EUR51K on a car... it would not be a Civic. By contrast I went to a Toyota Garage and they quoted me EUR37.7k for a Corolla 1.8 Hybrid GR Sport trim, which is the Civic's closest comparator as they are both "self charging" hybrids. Even the 2 litre Corolla only comes in at just over EUR39k. The dealers seem to be going nuts with the lack of supply - the H-RV still isn't available here and I was told that it would start at EUR48k if/when it arrives. I wouldn't be surprised if Honda disappeared from Ireland at this rate. All a bit disappointing!! Though interested to hear what prices the distributor finally comes up with.

I actually feel sorry for dealers, Honda is finished in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Miscreant

€46k starting price for a Civic really is taking the Mickey. Hybrid or not, it should not be that expensive in comparison to other countries in the EU. I know we have different VRT, Duty, VAT, dealer margins and blah, blah, blah that push up prices here but that figure just looks like the Treasure Ireland effect of "what the market will bear".

Until the car buying public in this country collectively refuse to pay these inflated prices (not just to Honda, but all manufacturers), then this situation will continue. I know it won't happen though as everyone seems to love the idea of a shiny new car in the driveway at any cost these days.

Part of the issue is that it looks (to me) as if the Civic is creeping up to the next size up in terms of design and engine.

The new one very much reminds me of an old school Avensis or Mondeo size hatchback.

Plus its a 180 bhp 2.0 as standard.

If they called it an Accord it would get away with this pricing even if exactly the same car.

Especially with the reviews it's getting which give the impression of something a step up from pretty much most ICE cars out there that aren't a plug in.

Edit - yes the pricing is too high for a traditional Civic.

I see the current HRV isn't on Honda Irelands site either

Totally bizarre

• Advertisement
Advertisement