Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Honda Civic e:HEV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Comer1

I could be wrong, but it doesn't look and bigger than the last Civic, certainly not as big as the Accord anyway.

Edit: New Civic 4551x1802 mm (LxW)

Current Civic 4518x1799 mm (LxW)

So it's 33 mm longer and 3 mm wider.

Post edited by Comer1 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭Tech_Head

If this is the interest they are showing at launch, imagine what it would be like if something went wrong.

I really did think they were on to a winner but the price and lack of interest are just too much for me to put my faith in Honda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

By comparison a Skoda Octavia is 4689mm long by 1829 wide. The last Civic saloon is 4648mm - so the new one is clearly not Accord sized, but it is Accord priced. Honda seem to have lost all sanity with pricing - a new base model Jazz with hubcaps and a 97ps engine is €31k on the road

I'm starting to wonder is this car going to be on sale in Ireland at all now🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

At that price I doubt it. A pity, I always like Honda, but I would prefer a Model 3 with some change in my pocket..

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dmb2022

Now that a Tesla Model 3 starts at 44,900, I feel sorry for the person that paid 46,800 for that entry level Civic in Clonskeagh Motors! Something for the distributor to think about... especially if there is going to be an EV price war!

Agreed. I’ve given up on it at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 The Headwind

Long time Honda driver here. Was hoping the Civic would be here by now. Looks like it’s going the same way as the HRV and we won’t see it. Time to give up on Honda. How much longer can they stay in the Irish market with no new models coming in?

Not long I’d say. I drove past the dealer in Mahon during the week and you wouldn’t think it was a Honda garage at all - didn’t see a single Honda in that section. There was no one there the last time I called up to ask about the Civic either.

They still have some used Civics in front of their Silversprings dealership but still mostly other brands.

Would be concerned about parts availability afterwards if this is their efforts at selling a new car.

Had been promised by a dealer that I’d get an update from them in November and still waiting.

• Advertisement

Same here. Last time I was in a Honda dealer the showroom was full of used cars except for a new CRV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

I see the Cranley Honda showroom in Dublin has closed, it's now a Kia dealership, not looking good for Honda Ireland 😥

I spoke to a Honda dealer today and he confirmed that the official price for the top spec Civic Advance will be EUR48,500. Launch is apparently very imminent!

Price is still way too high! The whole point of a hybrid is to save money! There are other hybrid and full electric options at around that price or cheaper. I pointed out that a Tesla Model 3 now starts at under EUR45,000, and all he had to say was that Teslas were unreliable and that some customers get rid of them after 6 months!!! I know Tesla customer service has a bad rep.... but I reckon you will see more Model 3s on the road than new Civics. I can't see Honda gaining any new customers for the Civic, but I think they will lose a lot of existing loyal customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭mailforkev

I was in a dealership a couple of weeks ago for a service and was talking to the guy there. They only have the Advance on the price list at 48.5 as you said, plus I think it was 600 for metallic paint. Nuts. That’s pretty much unsellable. He did mention that they had already sold a couple that they imported from the U.K.

Local dealer had a big notice on one of his new Jazz Hybrids last year: "This Car Is 80% Electric". I wonder what dealers are having to say to customers to sell this new Civic.

I have very little experience with Honda (I bought a Honda e last Jan) but my general feeling from my dealings with the dealerships is that the people are nice but Universal Honda and, in particular, Honda Europe are not making life easy for them.

Nobody has said anything specific but that’s the vibe I get from having some email correspondence with a couple of dealerships and Universal Honda over the last year.

Clonskeagh have had a new model HR-V sitting in the showroom for over a year, lovely looking little car in the metal. But it doesn’t actually seem to have been launched in Ireland yet for some reason.

The e has a phone app that never launched here, I was told that it would be available once the HR-V launched. Then Honda Europe just decided to randomly end support of the app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭micks_address

holy moly... almost 50k.. crazy... its priced at Accord class levels when its clearly the lower class with octavia etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 34 yellowmellow2241

New corolla cross is a good alternative. Did anyone test drive it yet? Sol model is around 44k. Looks good on paper. Tired of waiting for this Civic.

I test drove the Corolla Cross Sport version. It was fine. Typical Toyota Hybrid in that it does what it’s supposed to. I liked the extra bit of power in the 2.0 engine having been previously underwhelmed by a 1.8 CHR.

Brochure with full spec is not available online yet. Salesman had no further details available to him. He feared that the spare wheel would be removed in the Sol model to bring weight down for VRT purposes as it has sunroof and power boot lid adding weight. 1.8 version expected in coming months. Got the impression there isn’t much stock available. I’m undecided about it. Think I’d prefer a hatchback to an SUV but it is an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Am very disappointed if the new model is going to be in the 50k range. It looks like a stunning car and, when comparing UK/EU reviews to US reviews - looks like they've added extra sound deadening to improve the refinement when compared to the complaints of road noise for the cheaper ICE models not available in Europe.

I'm worried that Honda will go the way of Mitsubishi when it comes to offering cars here. It was bound to happen with the forced phasing out of ICE but we'll be left with so few alternatives in the non SUV side of things.

I'm showing my age when I look at the new Accord (the Aus/Japanese version) and wish it was still an option here.

i dont think you need to worry... its already there.. i had honda's from 2002.. civics, then an accord in 2013 which was an exec model and loved it.. after they stopped making the accords i switched to a civic tourer.. that was actually a super practical car that nearly did 70mpg on diesel.. after that though they didnt have a car i could switch into.. they stopped making the tourer and the newer civic had and still has terrible headroom in the back if you have a older teenager sitting in there.. could never do a deal on a crv so ended up moving to vws.. skoda first, then vw and now an id4.. we still have a 15 year old honda jazz and by the looks of it it will outlive us all.. runs forever once its kept serviced..

• Advertisement

Just got back from test drive of the sports version. I test drove CH-R before. Same feeling as yourself. That 2.0 Litre engine has some extra oomph. Road noise got me off a bit but the Sol model comes with extra sound deadening at the front and everything you mentioned. Sound system sounded bit muddy to me. In the Toyota website it says they use JBL but I didn't see any badge in the car. They can deliver in July. Personally I like hatchback too now. I had a Tucson 212 for one year. Loved the car but had to let it go for financial reason. Then I got a Kia Hatchback, which is much easier to drive on a narrow country road.

I kinda want to wait for the new Civic but if the price is 48.5k for real as everyone is saying then it's a bit much. I was checking Germany price for Civic, it's €37,450. Usually Irish price is similar or little bit higher. So gotta wait I guess .......

I saw the 48,500k price (for the Advance spec, which was only model they had listed) on a printed out price list in a Honda dealership, so no reason to doubt that's the actual price.

I see the new Prius is coming to Ireland later this year in plug-in hybrid version only. It is a beautiful looking car inside and out. It has an EV only range of 60km. Depending on pricing, it could be a better alternative to the new Civic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Agree the new prius looks fantastic except for that new dashboard binnacle.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Went to see the new civic today. Beautiful inside out. When I closed the boot, the glass roof shook a bit ! Not sure if because it's the demo car. Something to keep in mind when you test drive.

Not much less than a Camry, I know which I'd go for

Have been on a contact list at local dealer now for approx 6 months.

Drove past there yesterday and saw a newly registered blue one in their forecourt. They really don’t seem interested.

I guess it’s me…. And all of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BLUEZEN15

I see they have updated the honda.ie website.. no details of pricing, just some exterior and interior pictures.. although they did manage to put up two interior pictures of the last generation civic..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Sounds like even Honda Ireland are less than enthusiastic about the model. Is it any wonder with the list price people are being quoted for a family hatch? And yes, I know it is now a much bigger car than it used to be but it is still in the C segment of the market, same as the Golf, Astra, Focus and their ilk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

From the website - starting @ €47k - insane.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ddcluracan

I have to agree, I was really waiting for this car. It would have ticked a lot of boxes. But I reevaluated since the Tesla price drop. Model 3 with metallic paint and a tow hitch is 47,000 euro and is ordered. If this car was starting at 38,000 like the Corolla, it would have merited consideration. Even if you did order it god knows when it will be delivered.

Same situation. Still waiting for the dealer to call. Also just booked test drive through the website.

Honda EU's reply to my email regarding the app

Thank you for contacting your Honda Digital Team and for your interest in our Civic Hybrid.

This model offers a keyless entry and start feature - more information about this model's features can be found here: https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/new/civic-hybrid/specifications.html#full-specifications. There is however no app available to lock or unlock the car from a phone, as my Honda+app is only compatible with the Honda e, some grades of the Jazz Hybrid and the HR-V Hybrid.

Please note, the Honda+ App is constantly being updated and it is possible that in the near future more models will be compatible with the app.

If you have any further enquiries, please don't hesitate to get back in touch via email or live chat.

Thanks for that. I’m not even going to book a test drive.

If this is how bad the communication is when I’m trying to buy something then I don’t want to think how bad it will be when I need help or a part.

I’m in no rush for a car and can imagine that there will be a price reduction if they want to stay in the market. This might change if others, namely Tesla and Ford, up their prices again in Q2.

I was of the same mind last year. I fully expected to be buying this car when it came out. I expected the price to be higher but was thinking around mid to high thirties which I would stomach.

I am currently on my second Civic, and it is perfect for my needs. This car would have been ideal for me. Last summer I test drove an Audi A3 (S-Line) and a BMW 2 series Grand Coupe (M Sport) - I decided to hold-off for the Civic. But as it turns out both of those cars were cheaper than the Civic (and you can actually get one in a few weeks to a month).

Honda dealers are going to drone on about how it is a more premium car and that it is not comparable to other hatchbacks like the Golf or Corolla. I have been in the new Civic - the interior is high quality BUT it is still not up to the level of a BMW/Audi/Mercedes. In some respects it takes a step back from the Civic Mark 10 (like the interior door panels). The screens are low res and less customisable compared to any VW (that has always been a gripe with recent Hondas).

I also went to see the Peugeot 308 and the Mazda 3 at the weekend. These cars look great inside and out and the apparent level of quality and finish is impressive. The Mazda 3 is in my opinion the best looking hatchback, and the interior actually does feel more premium. A high spec Mazda 3 is around 38k.

New Corolla also coming in March with improved hybrid system (over 60mpg claimed) and upgraded tech (screens etc.). I was at a Toyota Garage in November inquiring about the Corolla and Prius - they have called me twice since then to follow-up. Still no contact from any Honda dealer I spoke to!

When I think of all the good options that exist in the hatchback segment, or across all segments at that price level, I just can't see how they well sell a lot of these cars or how it will compete.

It's only marginally bigger than the previous model by millimetres.

• Advertisement

Got call to test drive tomorrow. Dealership apologized for the delay and all. At this point I'm thinking of getting a EV6 or Model Y. Not much price difference than civic.

How did the Civic test drive go?

Car's fun to drive, sporty and all but for the price there's better option available in the market. Dealership never got back to me with trade in price. So I kinda gave up. Gonna wait for the Prius plug-in. If I manage to move out of my apartment to a house then definitely gonna get an EV.

Thanks for letting us know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 jackstow

Went to a dealer today, was advised that they are expecting to have 2 new trims for next year, which should be cheaper than the one they are offering now, he said it should start about 42k. That is going to be interesting to see

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Same price as a fully electric car, mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭creedp

Not that surprising when an EV at that price point is not subject to VRT and is net of €5k grant

Think they are only offering the advanced spec here so that means they’ll bring over the standard and sport version. Still a hard pass from me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

• Advertisement
Advertisement