Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a fresh pair of eyes for reading 1916 Marriage Cert

Options
  • 15-10-2022 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi all

So I started digging in the family history years ago and hit a brick wall and stopped. I have decided to try again but I'm back hitting that wall again. So I need some independent eyes to tell me what they see in the attached Cert with respect to Albert's Rank, his father's name and father's profession. I have until now presumed I knew what they said but my presumption has me getting nowhere. I'm really hoping someone here might be able to shed some light on this. Also trying to figure out the residence of Albert, looks like a barracks to me but cant make out the name at all.

I really appreciate any suggestions as they might lead me in the right direction.

Thanks all

EDIT: link added

Post edited by Hermy on
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

To my eyes, the father's name is Richard Davis, the rank is just soldier (same unclosed lower case d in Richard). No clue on the father's rank/profession though.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 veghead

Yeah I see Richard too but then a friend said they think it looks like Ruben so now I'm questioning everything I had thought. Also meant to add that I'm stuck on the residence of Albert too if you don't mind having a look and giving me your thoughts. I know its a barracks but for the life of me, I cant make out the name of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭gipi

The barracks is Marlboro (no gh at the end), now known as McKee barracks on Blackhorse Avenue.

Does the profession say Engineer?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I could see it being engineer as well. The dot suggested an i towards the end, but if it was meant for the i in the middle, it would fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭screamer

It certainly is Richard, yes soldier was the profession. As for the fathers rank or profession it looks like superior to me. That would make sense in a military setting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

I can see Richard and marlboro and engineer.

I spent years trying to decipher my grandmothers place of death. Would have been great if they were written in block capitals 😁

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Just a heads-up veghead...

First off, we have a dedicated thread for all handwriting queries.

Secondly, for best results you must post a link to the source of the document you want help with.

That will give others the best chance to help you.

Regards,

Hermy

Genealogy Forum Mod

Agree with others that Albert's rank is soldier and address is Marlboro Barracks, and that his fathers name is Richard and his rank is probably engineer.

You say you've been running into a brick wall - do you want to give some details of where you're stuck?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭BowWow

Soldier, Marlboro, Richard, Engineer.

(I had these written down before reading any other replies).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

The dot on the "i" is consistently appearing a bit to the right of the letter it is meant for

See also Richard, Julia, Little, Spinster......in all of these.

So yes for "Engineer"

• Advertisement

Oooops, my bad, sorry. Thanks for the heads up and also for adding the link for me :)

Thanks for your input everyone. I'm currently trying to see if these alternatives show up anything but so far not having much luck.

Essentially stuck with trying to find any information on Albert. He was my great-grandfather and I have no information on him other than the marriage cert and a birth cert for his only child. I think he may have died before 1920 as his wife may have remarried about that time. (Not totally sure that she did as I cant find any record of it but it would make sense for the time). Anyway, his only child, my grandfather (also called Albert Edward) died when my dad was a baby and his wife also remarried so we know absolutely nothing about that side. So that's where I am in a nutshell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

There is a Thomas, b1921 maybe related to GGF Albert. A marriage cert for a Thomas in 1945 lists father Albert deceased. GGF Albert listed as soldier on a marriage cert for son Albert in 1940. Are these possibilities and maybe GGF died in ww2. Theres an albert davis 18y from wales in shankill barracks 1911.

Post edited by mrslancaster on

Given he's a soldier have you tried to locate any military records for Albert?

According to your grandfather Albert's death notice he was buried in Mount Jerome cemetery and his mother was still alive at the time.

If you haven't already it might be worth contacting Mount Jerome to inquire if anyone else is buried in that plot.

There's a photo of his headstone at IGP.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Contact the pro-cathedral and ask for their copy of the marriage - it should give you his mother's name as well, which should enable you to find a birth certificate.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement