Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quality of optical cable installation

Options
  • 15-10-2022 3:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭

What standard of install have people received when getting fibre cable run into the house?

Our area is live now for ftth install, but several local installs I've seen have me a bit worried. The cables run externally in big loops , with no concern for aesthetics. Is this the norm? Or just shoddy local installers? Pictures would be great if available.

Post edited by JamBur on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭[Steve]

Had SIRO installed at my property about a month ago via Actavo/Quattra Civil. They were very quick, neat, and made sure any concerns were addressed.

https://imgur.com/a/g3Grzl1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭10-10-20

There is a requirement that fibre cable is looped at points as the glass strand can't take severe bends, so you do see loops in some cases, usually at the pole-mounted distributor box. Where are you seeing these loops and what shoddyness? Photos would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭JamBur

I dont want to put up photos, as they are installs on my neighbours houses. The cable is run across red brick at about 30 cm above ground level, and just clipped to wall. I probably used the wrong word, not loops on the wall, but big bends. I understand that the cable cant take bends due to the brittle nature, but it just seems poor quality work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

The cable is run across red brick at about 30 cm above ground level, and just clipped to wall

Seems normal to me.They couldn’t run cable inside the house due to regulations, they have to clip it to outside wall and bring it to the room you want.You always could install it to the nearest room to avoid long runs. Another thing to try is to pay some contractor for ducting around the house.

Advertisement