Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU,GPU

Options
  • 15-10-2022 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭

Looking at buy an old Alienware Area-51 which has an Intel Xeon X 5670 CPU @ 2.93 GH'z Just wondering if this CPU will work with an ASUS RoG strix Geforce GTX 1080 Ti ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

I would work but performance would be awful. That's basically a first generation i7 from 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭STEE

What i7 CPU would be best with that card ? The system is from 2010 I think, It has the original motherboard in it. I doubt a i9 will work with it or will it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

Well you would want a modern i7. With a 1080Ti the lowest I'd go is at least an 8th gen i7 like 8700K but preferably a newer CPU than that, I mean a modern Ryzen 5600X would be a better choice and that's only 200.

That machine from 2010 you are talking about is essentially worthless. The entire machine is worth about 50 euro. There are no upgrade paths, it would only be useful as a machine for older e-sports games or Minecraft or whatever if you threw a 2nd hand 50 euro card into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭STEE

I plan to upgrade the system with more up to date components. I have an 1080 Ti laying around So, I just thought I could stick that in this Alienware Area 51 ( Im really only buying it for the case Then gut it ) for the time being to use it with that CPU for old Call of Duty and Battlefield games until I update it Also because the current graphics card in it is not great. The specs are

6 core 12 thread xenon processor

Computer have only 120gb ssd for system all data Harddrives removed.

8 GB of ram

Rx 470 4gb on board.

How much do you think that's worth ? including the case The price the seller has it at is 300 euro which I know is not good but, accepted an offer of 180 euro. How low do you think this should sell for given the case is a bit rare nowadays. I mean any that come up on Ebay always have scratches and dents and ridiculous prices, plus custom charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I had one of those Xeons for years. I'm not sure if dell used custom motherboards back then if so you probably cannot overclock it which is what you would want to do with that CPU. Once overclocked it is the same as a i7 990X.

Also I do not know why there is only 8GB's of RAM when it is triple channel. Well I know why and it is because he is only running it dual channel.

I played games at 1440P 144Hz back in the day with one of those CPU's, I gave my system away to my nephew a couple of years ago but he has since upgraded.

• Advertisement
Advertisement