Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EX FG voters, why have you stopped supporting them?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They aren't, though.

Being taught that certain behaviours that were considered OK, but now aren't, are bad is not being "taught they are toxic". If they're being taught anything, its that.

You are reading too much crap on the internet; particularly if you thing that being taught that acting and being bad is bad means that you are being taught that you are inherently toxic.

If you are anti current day FG as you want a traditional euro Christian Democrat party and want kids to be taught very traditional views, just say that outright rather than dancing around the issue and regurgitating crap from the internet (using "toxic" to mean "don't act like a twat" is an obvious sign that you are)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

They are though.

We know they are, you know they are, no matter how you wish to camouflage it, be honest, you support the effort to save the souls of our young boys, it's for their own good right? Just like the priests in the past...you are just the same as them, be honest!!

Detail exactly how they are being "taught they are toxic" please.

As for the faux concern there - you were bigging up parents "chosing" Catholic education a few posts ago, remember. You were allllll in favour of ideology in schools - your ideology.

Ha ha haa, your a gas ticket.

On the one hand you said the following...

"Being taught that certain behaviours that were considered OK, but now aren't" - What certain behaviours are you referring to? Who is deciding what behaviours are acceptable?

...and you are attempting to pretend it's not happening, whilst simultaneously trying to call me a hypocrite!!

I'll ask you again, do you think young boys should be taught they are toxic? For some reason, you refuse to answer the question...altho we all know why!!!

When you explain, in detail, what you think "being taught they are toxic" is, I may be able to answer the question

Because currently, I have no idea what you are trying to get me to support. You are claiming something that doesn't actually happen is happening. You are also - deliberately, I suspect - missing the point that being taught that its bad to be a twat is not teaching someone that "they are toxic". Unless you, yourself, believe that all those kids are already twats - do you?

Until then, my point that you read (and believe) too much crap on the internet stands.

And yes, you are a hypocrite if you are in favour of retaining Catholic ideology in classrooms while claiming to be against ideology in classrooms. But as you've expressed two diametrically opposed opinions on that within a few posts I'm not sure you even know what you think.

• Advertisement

You are a slippery one...

You said this,

Being taught that certain behaviours that were considered OK, but now aren't...when were young boys taught that being a twat was ok?

You are the one who has expressed two diametrically opposed opinions on the same thing within a few posts; and is refusing to actually explain what it is you that think is resulting in boys "being taught they are toxic".

You can't actually explain it, can you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

I really would like to see Pascal take over the reins from Leo, although I think he is too cute for that as he knows what in for Irelands and the global economy coming down the line. Leo is an absolute disaster what a useless politician it really annoys me that he is going to be Taoiseach come next year, as you say all soundbite and absolutely nothing to back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I voted back in 2011 on the basis that FF ruined the economy and there was need for a recovery. I thought Enda was decent but dithered too much on housing and was waiting on the Centre Right Varadkar.

Then we got a centre left Varadkar. And a party whose policies were entirely based on what the media and NGOs wanted them to do. Piss weak on crime. Too subservient to the EU. Far too much nanny statism.

Ya, you do realise it is you that has expressed two diametrically opposing views. You have suggested that certain behaviours in young boys is being addressed, but you refuse to articulate what those behaviours are, and you are trying to convince us it's not happening in the schools.

You refuse to answer a question I have put to you three times now. I'll ask again, do you think young boys should be taught in class that they are toxic? And before you ramble on assuming I have read it online somewhere, I have two young boys in my family who are being taught exactly that...I don't need the internet to tell me....I have told you that.

Yet you want me to provide you with the curriculum that is being pushed in schools.

• Advertisement

You can't even vaguely show any claims of what they're being taught, and are asking people to agree to a concept that's entirely inside your head.

Come ask me again when you have a coherent point.

So, again, you refuse to answer the question!!! That's 4 times now you refused to answer it. Apart from passive aggressiveness you have nothing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It is not part of any curriculum that young boys be taught that they are toxic. You are making that up.

Your question is open ended and based on your own weird thoughts. Nobody is going to answer it until you explain what on earth you think is being (but absolutely isn't being) taught.

Do you also rant about 'cancel culture' and 'woke' while not being able to actually explain either by any chance?

IT wasn't part of any curriculum that boys only write with their right hand either yet boys in this country were beat in classrooms for decades for failing to do so. Too many people at the time buried their heads in the sand.

"Weird thoughts"..."Rant"...like I said, you are laced with passive aggressiveness. I have already explained what I think is being taught in schools, what I haven't done it managed to get a hold of the class notes and post them up here to prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

No children are being taught they are toxic, that's a fever dream of GQP acolytes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think pascal is absolutely rubbish too- the waste of taxpayers money under his watch is simply criminal. I don’t rate him at all. Anyone involved in dishing “bonuses” to welfare Layabouts isn’t in anyway fiscally conservative or sensible

• Advertisement

a) that's not being taught in schools

b) what part of the article do you disagree with and what should change/stay the same as a result of your reading, i.e. is it okay for girls to be encouraged to do woodwork or is that "toxic" for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

We need to close the woodworking gap definitely.

I disagree with the entire premise of the article.

It is toxic femininity that is keeping boys/young men out of the Gender Studies Courses offered by all our 3rd level institutions, or our Teacher training colleges? Or is that the fault of toxic masculinity as well, if so, how can it be accountable for both?

Do you think, in your opinion, young boys should be taught that they are toxic in our schools? Like what is being suggested in the article?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Yes, it is in your imagination. Nothing in that article supports the argument that young children are taught that they are toxic.

So do you agree with the premise of the article, that was alluded to by the expert witness.

Expert witness David Byrne, a PhD candidate at the Technological University Dublin, suggested changing male behaviour in schools will be a very long road.

“We need to teach boys not to be that way. It would be very difficult to break that mould because it is such an ingrained habit.”

Ok, you're just off in a weird tangent worrying about what is happening to other people's kids based on what loony US politicians are saying. There's no convincing you otherwise and you're just digging yourself into it deeper and deeper.

None of this is happening in Irish schools and it's nothing FG or any other party are pushing.

You're also disagreeing that girls should be encouraged to do woodworking, which is a very odd position for a person to take, Ireland is lucky you don't vote.

Ha ha haaa...you are gas....it was a FG Senator pushing that very thing in the article I linked....I qouted the expert witness, -- Expert witness David Byrne, a PhD candidate at the Technological University Dublin, suggested changing male behaviour in schools will be a very long road.

“We need to teach boys not to be that way. It would be very difficult to break that mould because it is such an ingrained habit.” --

Senator Doherty was speaking at the joint committee on gender equality which is examining the recommendations of the Citizens’ Assembly on norms and stereotypes in education. - This is happening in Ireland, it's laughable to suggest this is a figment of anyone's imagination.

Are you capable of keeping US politics out of any thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I agree. Those I know that have worked hard, have generally done well. But it's far harder to get ahead here than it should be. I feel no responsibility for many adults on welfare, which cant budget, spend fortunes on takeaways etc. They would be broke if they were given a grand a week for free... it's a perpetual victim society here. When I'm in the us, they deem me left leaning by the way...

I see you have added a line to your post Astrofool...

"You're also disagreeing that girls should be encouraged to do woodworking, which is a very odd position for a person to take, Ireland is lucky you don't vote."

What an odd take...I think young women are well capable of deciding for themselves what they want to do!!!

"Ireland is lucky you don't vote" - never underestimate how pious Irish people can be!!! Our history is littered with piety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Get Lucinda creighton back or some other person. The current lot they have are a joke...

Advertisement