Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend me a shower pump

• 16-10-2022 12:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭

I have this pump that is on its last legs. It's a "New Team Varispeed 50". It's been in the house at least 10 years. When it works, its perfect for what I need (albeit a little noisy).

It fails every now and then and I hit it a wallop and it goes again 😁. I assume this means it's on the way out...

From Googling, the consensus suggests that these type of pumps have a limited life span. I have close to zero experience on this topic and would appreciate some insights from someone more knowledge than I. I'd like to educate myself a bit on it. Every time something breaks/fails it always reminds me about how little I really know about anything!

What would be a good replacement?

What should I take into consideration when looking for a replacement that matches my setup.. (i.e. I can see that it has 4 pipes going in/out of it).

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

To buy a shower pump you should know the input pressure, desired output pressure and whether you need a positive or negative head pump.

If you are not sure of these then google the specs of the old pump and work from there. No harm to put the new pump on a rubber mat when you are installing it....helps with the noise.

Stuart Turner are a good brand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭monseiur

Stuart Turner are a good brand - you just fit & forget but not cheap €500 to €700 !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Thanks for advice so far.

I've decided that the easiest thing to do is just buy the same pump again!

The old one had a good innings and the new one should hopefully do similar.

I'll likely get a rubber mat to try to improve the noise issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I suggest you go to your local plumbing supplies place with the pump and ask what they suggest. They will likely have a good, better and best replacement to offer you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Max JD

Avoid Stuart Turner - 1st failed after a week - its replacement has now failed after a year & half

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭embracingLife

Op you didn't say what is the actual problem with the pump? You said you give it a a wallap and it starts working again. I'm guessing it's probably the electronic box on top that is the problem. It's easy to replace the electronic parts - approx 100 euros all in.

You should do a simple Google search for pump repair companies - depending on what part of the country you are in - mostly in cities there's a few repair companies /tradesmen who do repairs to water pumps instead of buying a new one.

Stuart Turner is a very good brand of pump. They last years and are regularly refurbished /reconditioned and continue for up to 20 years.

I don't know why yours broke down - we're they brand new or refurbished ones? Just a question, no worries in having a debate on it etc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Thanks for reply. I had considered the repair route but the pump is 10+ yrs old. Google suggests that this is the lifetime of pump of this quality.

To replace with the same one will be less than 200. For that reason, I'm likely going to source a replacement.

I'll keep the pump in situ until it fully dies but I want to have the replacement lined up.

It's been working fine since I gave it it's last wallop a few days ago 😅

Ok or it could be an internal valve inside the pump or the motor itself. Well the other posters replies are good advice to take to source a new one. Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Stuart turner is probably the most popular brand , Grumfos probably better though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

There are two large dedicated pump repair companies in Dublin. One Northside & one Southside. Both of these say Stuart Turner is the most reliable.

I,m in shower repair. Plumbers & bathroom installation companies will tell you this shower or that shower is the best, usually because the like it themselves or it's easy to install. Usually their advice is way off. They don't repair showers for a living so they know very little about what ones fail more than others on a daily basis.

No disrespect to anyone else giving advice on the thread but I'd follow the advice from the repair companies rather than the installers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭whizbang

Shamelessly stolen from another thread : https://st-pumps.ie/product/stuart-turner-techflo-tp-s-positive-head-shower-pump-1-5bar/

A mains powered pump that doesnt start itself, but will start with a bit of excitement is usually faulty capacitor. No more than a couple of euro.

Also worth removing and flushing out. Impellers could be full of sediment.

Advertisement