Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much should you have in a bank account

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Interesting variety of answers

I set the £1000 as an absolute minimum because I no so many people that don't have anywhere near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭AnF Chuckie egg

2.5 X Your monthly Salary in your current account

then it really is dependant on your stage in life as to what you have in long term/medium/short term investments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,355 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I think the overpaying your mortgage option should be higher up in that flowchart.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,559 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

On the OP itself - €1,000 just isn't enough

What if something drastic happened your car and you needed fixing?

What if you had an urgent requirement for even something like your fridge/freezer busting and needing a replacement? Or a replacement laptop etc?

That €1,000 would be gone quickly

I suppose one person's €1,000 in savings might be equivalent to another person's €5,000 in savings (depending on life circumstances) - e.g. family, mortgage/rent, full-time job etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭accensi0n

How many years did it take to pay off your mortgage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

The best way to calculate this is to think of the worst likely thing that could happen tomorrow.

Are you likely to lose your job suddenly? Then better have a lot saved.

Is your boiler or your car likely to break down? Save a few thousand for that.

Are you 19 and the worst thing to happen is that you miss a holiday? Have a few hundred for that.

I would keep a minimum of 8-10k on hand. Enough to survive on for 6 months should I lose my job, and enough to cover any reasonable emergency expense.

Advertisement