Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FindMyPast no longer hosts Archdiocese of New York records

• 17-10-2022 2:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭

I just learned from FindMyPast that their deal with the Archdiocese of New York to host their sacramental records ended on September 30. I had queried why I could no longer access the invaluable images--just the very flawed and incomplete index. The vast majority of these tens of thousands--hundreds of thousands?--of records were of mid to late 19th century Irish-born and next generation Irish. It's an important source for Irish research even if your ancestors never budged from Ireland. Siblings, cousins and neighbors did and many clues are there.

There was no announcement in advance about this. I hope Claire Santry or someone can find out what happened and what might happen going forward.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Maybe they had a better offer and the records will appear again sometime in the future hosted by a different company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭VirginiaB

I thought of that. We'll see. FMP seems to be concentrating on British records lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭VirginiaB

Two updates on this. The Archdiocese of New York is now providing the baptism and marriage records up to 1930 free--but you have to get in line. See their website https://archny.org/ministries-and-offices/archives/genealogy

The following info came from someone knowledgeable in such matters--

"Unfortunately, Find My Past did not complete the terms of the project—they stopped working on the project in 2020 and never resumed. I believe that the transcripts will remain on the FMP site, and we are looking for ways forward to make the images available."

Advertisement