Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Smart Meter installed - but you can only check usage online if you have a Smart PLAN?!!!

Options
  • 17-10-2022 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭

Got a new Smart Meter installed today. (I have no intention of going for a smart plan until they make sense, and will stay on my current plan).

I see with Electric Ireland, you can only view usage on a smart meter if you have a smart plan - wtf? Surely the meter allows access online (or should) regardless of whether you opt into a smart plan - or is this a form of blackmail? Perhaps I am misunderstanding, so if anyone has a smart meter without a smart plan, but can go online to view usage, please confirm!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

That is correct currently you can't access the data unless you sign up for a smart plan, this is the same across all providers.

However it is due to change (partially I think due to the slow uptake of smart plans), there was an announcement that the data would become available, as esb networks gather the data it would be through them somehow. That said I'm not sure when it will be, it really is something that should have been in place from before smart meters were installed at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Thanks cruizer101. Yes, absolutely, that's bonkers (no pun intended!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 toshiba01

I have a smart meter and a 24hr plan non smart and can view my usage with Electric Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

thanks toshiba will check it out when the meter shows up online, still showing old one at moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Seems a bit silly alright

They'd get more people to install the meters if they could check the data

• Advertisement
Advertisement