Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxed in the face

Options
  • 17-10-2022 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4 70swally

I have been with my girlfriend for about 6 months, however I have known her for many years as we have worked (and still do) together.

We were away at the weekend and there was a bit of drinking with myself, herself and one of her friends. A conversation came up about one of my ex's and there was quite a bit of quizzing. I am still friends with my ex (actually friends with 3 ex's, things dont work out but you can be adult about things)

We headed to bed and she decided to tell me that she didnt like that I was friends with this ex and tried to hit me, I just grabbed her hands and told her to stop and go to bed, I tried to make light of it by tickling her with my other hand. After a few minutes we quit messing about and I was getting ready to go to bed and she caught me with a sucker punch which hit me in the face, the punch pushed my glasses into my face and then they fell on the floor, the lens cut the side of my eye and bruised my check and noise.

I was stunned and left the room until she went asleep, in the morning she had no memory of the incident and wanted to know what we were talking about, in a way implying I wound her up.

I didnt really engage with her on it, other than to say that I was disgusted and that I would never lay a hand on anyone

It is the first time as an adult I have ever been hit like this by anyone. I have said in the past that if a relationship comes to blows its not really worth it but never thought I would be in that situation.

She has apologised and says she is deeply embarassed by it which I dont doubt, but do I put this down to a once off or has a rubicon been crossed? We are due to travel on a business trip with a holiday tagged onto it in a few weeks, work knows we're a couple and have sent us on this trip (we tagged the holiday bit on outselves) so I dont know how I might get out of that.

I dont feel emasculated by this, just extermely disappointed that someone I thought I knew would do something like this.

Really would appreciate the wisdom of the crowd on this.

Post edited by Hannibal_Smith on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

If it were I, it would be over and done with.

She well remembers and then gaslighting you.

Working together is whole load of problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,315 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

id definitely be taking a step back, something isnt right there, arguments happen in relationships, but physical altercations, no fcuking way, she clearly has some deep insecurity issues going on there, but you are not her emotional, and definitely not her physical punching bag. she may feel remorse, but id be taking a major step back, and be having a deep rethink on this one, best of luck with things

• Registered Users Posts: 4,337 ✭✭✭mojesius

There is never a justification for violence in a relationship. Being black out drunk is not an acceptable excuse. This will happen again if you stay with her, she has shown her true colours after only six months. Run and don't walk.

I get that it's awkward you work together, this will be awkward for some time but will eventually get easier. Id keep the work trip if it's business-critical and go alone (maybe change flight and accommodation yourself so you can avoid her as much as possible).

You need to end this now. I've seen people stay in these abusive relationships constantly making excuses for their abuser, with their self-worth and happiness being gradually pole-driven into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

That would be the end for me. There's no coming back from violence. I don't buy that she forgets it. Even if it is true, do you want to be with someone who launches physical assaults while blacked out and then tries to laugh it off?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Once is one time too many. If it were a man doing the hitting no one would advise you to remain in the relationship.

Sort out the work trip ASAP. Relationships break up all the time so only a one day gossip topic. Cancel the holiday part. Be firm but polite in explaining why you cannot continue. Write a letter if you feel unable to discuss it face to face, considering her attitude to the incident.

You have had a narrow escape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I was stunned and left the room until she went asleep, in the morning she had no memory of the incident and wanted to know what we were talking about, in a way implying I wound her up

She knew exactly what she did and exactly why she did it, do not let her reverse victim you, make her an ex you're not friends with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I'd also subtly let it known in work.

You'll be the bad guy otherwise if you break up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Tefral

I'm the type of person who trys to weigh up all scenarios before making a decision but hitting would be a red line issue for me. Its only 6 months in man, I'd call it a day personally. I'd say that as someone who would be slow to recommend breaking up relationships.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,803 ✭✭✭YellowLead

I’m sorry but I don’t see any other logical way to proceed except to break up with her. What she did was completely unacceptable and disgusting. Do you want to be in a relationship or even friends with a violent person??? Do you think that little of yourself. Be done with her, the sooner the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Only you know if she was so pissed that she could have forgotten what happened that night. Was she more drunker than ever before? If you think that she genuinely doesn’t remember then you need to have a serious conversation with her and tell her exactly what happened instead or pussyfooting around.

Fwiw I have been hit by a drunk ex before (probably deserved it though). Never something she’d have done sober but she became a whole different person when properly drunk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

I have to agree with those who say to end it.

Violence is unacceptable.

I think you need to tell her that and perhaps suggest she gets help with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Yeah, she just crossed the finish line, IMO. Alcohol is if course the great disinhibitor, or revealer; violence is as others here have stated; non-negotiable. You can imagine if this happened to your child to be…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭standardg60

Operative word being 'ex' here.

No hope here OP, she needs to deal with whatever issues she has before she's capable of a relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,714 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Run...physical abuse within 6 months...pretending it didn't happen..christ

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Does alcohol being our the real character. Anyhow would be gone after that drink or no drink. Then saying she could remember ... BS

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

It wasn’t the reason why the relationship ended, but it was cause to have her stop drinking because she couldn’t handle it.

Up to the OP to decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,311 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Get out of dodge OP... I'd go and not look back..

Loads of people drink and to excess also without assaulting people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Sounds like you like her a lot if you are willing to put up with that. A once off? Maybe but I doubt it.

If it happens again no matter what the reason, end the relationship that very moment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Not a hope in hell would I continue with that relationship. Its done when one hits the other. She also tried to tell you who not to be friends with and when you reminded her of what happened tried to make out like it was your own fault? It's only six months in - get out now.

If you did it you’d get a fine or a suspended sentence or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Break up and explain why. No exceptions, she does not care about you or your welfare, I am sorry you found out this way.

The work angle is a massive problem now. You just should not have relationships with colleagues. Don't screw the crew. Work is hard enough.

If you are worried about her spreading lies and dissing you in work , which she will do btw.... I would threathen her with reporting her assault to the Gards, that should temper her scorn slightly.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thegame983

First, was it a 'proper' punch? You know what I mean, did she deliberately try to hurt you or was it a misguided flail of the arm. There's a difference.

Second, I would take any advice you see here with a pinch of salt. Anytime people ask for relationship advice on this board the response is always almost 'dump him/her' so be wary.

If you believe she deliberately tried to hurt you consider breaking it off.

Confront her, tell her exactly what she did and gauge her reaction. If she is being a bitch about it that would a good reason to consider leaving her.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 MoxoM

Walk Away. I don’t even understand why this would be a discussion?

Walk away. And tell her exactly why. She has shown traits of control, jealousy and aggression.

Please do not buy into the "I don't remember" crap or worse the "you must have wound me up" crap. You are not responsible for her reactions, she is.

No one deserves to be assaulted as part of their relationship.

Ask work to amend the travel booking to just the business trip, it shouldn't be an issue. if they ask, just say you are no longer planning staying longer, no more, no less, unless you want to tell them the relationship is over.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I am so sorry you had this horrible, upsetting experience. I hope you can see it had nothing to do with you.

I would end the relationship now. It's still early days and this is not just a red flag, this is a screaming siren of things to come. Go now and don't look back. I wish you all the very best.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Had a girlfriend back in the day... she was a bit out of my league soo I was inclined to cut her some slack but she used get very rowdy after a few drinks. Started off with the odd cheeky slap on me on nights out, then one night she threw a hot cup of tea at me, I eventually broke up with her when she tried to run me over with her car after we had a bit of barney and I tried to convince her not to drive home (as she was blotto).

I hope you can see the point I'm making above. This kind of behaviour escalates... starts off with a playful slap.... ends up with you being stabbed in your sleep. Get out NOW!!!

Dump her immediately and call the Gardai. That’s quite serious assault.

If you continue to treat this as a minor incident it will repeat and she’ll just use more violence to attempt to control you. It will escalate. There’s no question about that.

Do not write this off as a one off incident or make any excuses and don’t analyse it.

She punched you violently in the face, with full intent to do you physical damage. That’s all you need to know about her.

Unfortunately, someone like that isn’t worth wasting your time attempting to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

I can understand (to a degree as my ex girlfriend got violent with me when loads of drink involved) It didn't end well but dragged on for years.

I wouldn't necessarily end it over that or the claim that she can't remember. It is of course a major red flag but the fact that she tried to make out that you wound her up is the decision maker for me.Like it's okay she punched you and cut your face up because you wound her up?

Of course it's complicated by your work situation but get rid ASAP.Make sure you have some pics of your face aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I'm not usually a fan of the "what if the genders were reversed" line of thinking that often gets trotted out here, but seriously, OP, get gone. There is literally never an excuse for violence and as others have said, it only ever tends to escalate. Her controlling behaviour was a red flag on its own but you literally have the writing on the wall here.

Post edited by Dial Hard on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement