Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More panels or not?

Options
  • 18-10-2022 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭

I don't like the look of that bland red awning below:

Would look a lot better with 3 panels in landscape me thinks (will save me time painting/cleaning it too 😁)

Any reason not to go for it?

1. 1kwp extra would complement the 3kwp string on the roof quite nicely I believe and will help in the bad months.
    2. Yes not needed in summer as I have a second 4kwp string at the back but that is shaded by the house from now so effectively useless until March.
    3. I assume I can just screw a pair of the rails directly to the house and then the second on the tiles - not sure what king of renusol brackets are needed for these types of tiles though (thes emaybe? https://midsummer.ie/buy/renusol-pitched-roof-mounting/roof-hook-concrete)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭DC999

To me, panels are the new ‘must have’ on a house. They are the decking and conservatories of the 2020s 😊

I wouldn’t be bothered what people think they look like – tis you’re electricity bill. You can add 75% more capacity for the poorer months (when the other string at the back is doing nothing).

I was also looking to see could I fit some vertical to the wall on the S side. No space elsewhere. I know the output will be muck in summer (and even a little anlge will help so not 90 degrees) but same as you, it’s more for the darker months. And for a DIY project - just because

Our inverters and fireman switches are on the outside of the house. Better someone else sees them than me seeing them inside every day. 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I'd flatten that cuckoo to make room for more panels and it would look nicer but thats just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,529 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

The answer to "more panels?" is always yes 😁

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

More panels is the answer.

What was the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Why? it would cover the entirety of that roof and on the end I could put a black piece to finish it off and not see the old roof at all.

Would look better than this IRL 😂

Crossed my mind many-a-times it's not even part of the actual roof itself, it sits on top of the roof but I reckon council might bitch about that.

I could also put 2 panels on that roof which won't cover it fully (5.4m at the widest point) and 1 extra panel beside the only panel in landscape on the main roof but would need to get a roofer for that and doubt that will ever pay off vs me being able to do the lower bit.

Also the fireman switch has just the +/- coming in from the main roof, I assume I could connect these extra panels directly to the free +/- on the fireman switch or would that not join them and I have to wire them into the +/- coming from the roof string?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Yeah, as you mentioned you could probably fit another 1-2 panels on the very left side of the upper roof too and still have ~20cm to the edge if I'm eyeballing it right.

I don't see any major reason to not do it. I would however note that you are in under the drain pipes. Normally this shouldn't be an issue, but if the drains were clogged and it caused an over flow, that heavy volume of water could be coming down on your panels, and electrics below. Not a huge issue as they are all IP67 rated, but ..... just saying.

I assume you have a house to the left out of picture? (I ask as I was thinking if you had an unobstructed view to the left, some wall mounted panels could also be useful - assuming the wall to the left was south facing? I just "winterised" my south facing ones this week. (Changed the angle so that they are flush to the wall)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h18m7kd5bd32ds7/2022-10-17%2013.54.13.jpg?dl=0

I spoke to my installer and he said he wouldn't be comfortable adding the one panel there or on the small roof either so I'd be DIYing this (in other words he probably couldn't be bothered with such a tiny job)

Never had an issue with the water before and in any case the connections would be neatly tucked under the panels.

Yup, the side gates are to the left, probably 2.5m in between the houses and it's a shame about the shading I could have added loads on the side W facing if it was clear. House is S facing.

I think 2 there and an extra 1 on the roof would look the neatest. Or 2 on the small roof and slap a vertical one in between the windows but it wouldn't look great.

Any of you guys roofers by any chance? 😂

Does anyone have any contact details of a roofer/installer that can quickly lash one panel on the roof for me (not in 6 months time)? Cannot see this taking longer than 2 hours.

No luck with mine, guess he can't be bothered for such a small job (even though he should have put that extra panel on there to begin with)

I will sort out the 2 panels on the small roof myself but not sure how to join them with the rest, bring the DC cable inside the attic and join there or go outside and then to the roof and join there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I'll pm you someone that came on my radar on the FB Group.

Anyone got a trade account with solartricity or midsummer that I can "borrow" for a few bits and pieces for this work?

Solartricity just plain refuse to deal with the public now it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Mr Q

What are you after? I have purchased from Germany some smaller items and worked out cheaper, plus they had a good online shop so it was easy.

Dealing with some of the retailers/wholesalers here is a nightmare.

Agreed, the prices are a joke, even with all the recent increases.

The rails, roof hooks and other bits and pieces, clamps, nuts/bolts.

Looking for renusol gear as it needs to match the existing installation so the heights are the same etc.

Shoot me on an email with the details I can always get a quote and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

I'm also looking for Renusol mounting gear so would appreciate any pointers on where I might get it. Thanks, Paul

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Whats the german site? Just keeping options open.

Advertisement