Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting health insurance through new job and need to cancel private plan

Options
  • 18-10-2022 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I just got a new job who offers health insurance, and my current private plan is about to expire. If I cancel my current plan, I will have a 3-4 week gap in coverage, so fingers crossed I won't need anything during those few weeks. I contacted my current insurance provider (Irish Life) and they say there WILL be a cancellation fee if I renew my current plan and then cancel mid-term (the new job uses VHI). I swear I had found a thread on here that said if I show my current health insurance provider the fact that my new job is paying for health insurance, they can't charge me a cancellation fee, but I cannot find the post now. Is this a thing? Should I cancel my plan now or can I renew and avoid a cancellation fee by showing that I'm getting health insurance through my job? Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can give me.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,271 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

And if you were to get canned during the probation period? Or are made redundant due to economic circumstances, what is the plan? Presumably your employer's insurer would give you a grace period, but after that...

Advertisement