Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 21/22 Eviction Ban (was: And just like that, FFFG lose 298000 votes))

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

It worked so well the last time :)

I am delighted that they did it here. It really opened my eyes and gave me the kick i needed to sell up. Best thing I ever did. And I have the rent freeze to thank for finally making me wise up and gtfo of property investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think I saw that Fund based LL have only about 10-15% of the rental base. They operate at the top end of the market. Mon&Pop LL's provide the vast majority of accommodation and will do for the next 20 years.

The government is not going to do any more stupid legislation that will drive LL's out of the market IMO. Some left leaning USI cadre had a brain fart and spoke without think. Ya the government may put some standards for RAR but it will not regulate them

Slava Ukrainii

They seem to be outdoing themselves every year so far anyway. I dont see that stopping. They clearly know the impact of what they are doing is going to be bad each time, yet they still do it. Thats populism for you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Why might fund-based landlords be better for tenants?

Mainly because some of the no fault eviction grounds don't exist in their case. If you are a tenant, you and your family are not going to be evicted because the landlords offspring are reaching college age need a place to stay, the landlords brother has returned from abroad and will be moving in, the landlord herself will be moving in and so forth. Those reasons simply don't apply in the case of a fund landlord.

Now, I know at this point, landlords will be chiming up "it's my home, I've a right to move into it!" And indeed they do under current regulations.

However, that is missing the point. The point is from a purely tenant's perspective, a fund-based landlord, when properly regulated, is better than a small private one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Sorry, this not what we were discussing in the last few posts,we are discussing the possibility that those people that provide student "digs" and/or provide accommodation under the rent a room scheme may be required to register with the RTB and confer full tenant right on their house guests.

• Advertisement

While extra protections are needed for those availing of digs and rent room schemes, I agree that full rights as tenants are probably not appropriate at this point.

I don't agree.

Most no fault evictions are as a result of the landlord selling up. Fund-based landlords trade property more than Mom and Pop landlords.

Funds seriously started buying up properties in Ireland for rent just over 10 years ago, during that time we have experienced record rent increases with rents nearly doubling. RPZ were brought in to tackle the issue but have failed as funds sell up non performing properties or evict tenants leaving properties empty for two years to readjust rents.

Its not in the funds interest to ensure there is an adequate amount of rental properties in the market as a shortage sustains high rents, the way property prices are going only funds will be able to deliver rental properties in the future. There is more money to be made by getting you to sign up to a lifetime of renting than to let you buy your own property.

Fund based landlords lobby governments in other countries to weaken renters rights and make the rental market more palatable for investors.

Your faith in fund based landlords is misplaced.

You haven't established a causal link, however, between fund based landlords entering the market in recent years and prices going up, merely a correlation and, of course, correlation is not causation.

I would still maintain that, given the option between a small private landlord and a large fund based one, the tenant is better advised to go with the fund based one for the reasons given.

Sure, not all no fault evictions are for reasons of landlord or family members moving in (that was never claimed), but the mere fact that that is a possibility is sufficient to swing it in favour of the fund landlord.

I supposed you could be right, the huge rent increases could just be coincidental and not influenced by investment funds driven maximise profits to attract further investment.

I suppose its one of those things where time will tell, it sounds like we will have plenty of pensioners in the future to ask who they prefer giving the majority of their pension too mom and pop landlords or fund based landlords.

@[Deleted User] 3:53pm "I supposed you could be right, the huge rent increases could just be coincidental..."

Now you're beginning to get it. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bluedex

Either way it's not relevant to the possibly impending destruction of the supply of "digs" for students.

Personally I don't think they'd be that stupid.. but I thought that before... and they WERE that stupid!

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭herbalplants

I agree 100% with you. Funds don't want home owners, they want everyone hooked on renting.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

I think the article below tells you all you need to know about the USI and others attitude to "Digs" and the rent a room scheme, they want control of it (even though they think digs are ****)until the government and big developers build them their purpose built accommodation.

https://www.thejournal.ie/students-canvass-rent-a-room-scheme-6154609-Aug2023/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Yup. And the state has allowed an facilitated this every step of the way, along with ensuring constant enormous levels of immigration to keep those rents nice and high. Some people call this stupidity, but I prefer to call it sheer malice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭Villa05

Not a chance, the tenants dream is the landlord that purchased a house for their retirement, with the tennant paying the the mortgage for them particularly if that landlord locked in low rates.

Over regulation has killed of these landlords. The majority of landlords and tenants are fine and reasnobly compliant. It's the minority that dictate policy ruining it for everyone

Empty vessels and all that....

I would not have thought so but you are entitled to your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Large funds landlords only chase high profits.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

I havent heard anything of this in regards to legislation regarding digs and a room renters rights,is it just the USI? and specifically student digs? it is essentially the same thing as licencees. Any laws enshrining rights of a licencee in someones home will kill digs AND other licencees for sure. It would be an absolute certainty that thousands of rooms would be made unavailable in the 24hrs before anything was enacted while people still could remove someone, as unlike tenants who couldnt be moved out before a new law is enacted (rightly so), a licensee could be moved (which would be understandable from the owners perspective), and moved rapidly, nor would I consider any laws to limit a home owners rights regarding any guests or licencees of any kind to be sensible or fair in relation to a home owners constitutional right. It would be crazy. I doubt it would get that far as really that would seem to be challenging/disputing the constitution but things have gone crazy in the market, so who knows what could happen,with thousands of rooms being not available and used by other groups, and laws have been discreetly sneaked over the line in the past.

what are they looking for? because if its too much, students wont be on the streets looking to encourage people to avail of the rent a room scheme, they will be just on the street, the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I see the great Vacant House Tax is on the way. You will be able to drive a coach and four through it. It's expected that it will cost more to collect than it will raise.

will the LA pay it to themselves for all the houses they have boarded up

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

I'm not sure how anyone could be against a vacant house tax. Leaving a house empty during a housing crisis is a terrible insult to society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

That 30 day rule would seem to be impossible to police. How do the Govt know how many days you stayed in your holiday home over the year?

All sorts or reasons a property may not be vacant.

When my apartment was empty before the sale went through, myself and my mates all had keys and could just crash in it on random days if it was too hard to get a taxi home.

I actually worked in it the odd day when it was too noisy with visitors at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭Villa05

3 times the current property tax is not a deterrent. Property tax in percentage terms was heavily diluted in the last property tax review

Should be a daily loitering charge for properties that have been left fall into disrepair, become an eyesore and a h&s risk where no action has been taken by the owner

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

This is just about getting the tax on the books and getting properties classified, it will ramp up over the years and once they start connecting all the dots.

Once SF get in they will abolish property tax though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Yep, the few landlords that may be getting cash and not registered with RTB and/or revenue, will be brought into the loop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bluedex

"MORE THAN 4,500 eviction notices were issued to tenants in the third quarter of this year, new data from the Residential Tenancies Board (RTB) shows.

From July to September, 4,518 notices to quit were issued to tenants. This compares to 5,735 notices issued in the second quarter of the year and 4,753 for the first quarter.

It brings the total number of eviction notices issued this year to 15,006.

Today’s figures show that 63% of landlords (2,863) who issued the notices said they were intending to sell the rental property, the RTB data shows. This is the same percentage as the second quarter."

Totally predictable outcome of the ban on Notices of Terminations (or as the media like to incorrectly call it "The Eviction Ban"). What has been proposed to help the situation? You guessed it:

"Sinn Féin’s housing spokesperson Eoin Ó Broin... urged the government to reconsider its opposition to a temporary reintroduction of the ban on no-fault evictions."

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Advertisement