Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New iPads

Options
  • 18-10-2022 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,193 ✭✭✭

Was hoping to grab the new basic iPad after launch but I see they have raised the price to €600 for the entry model. Outrageous.

The iPad Air is €799 now. Is that an increase aswell?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

The iPad Air was 709. The extra 80 is due to the exchange rate with the dollar.

The new basic iPad for 599 is a crazy price.

i was holding on to see what would happen. I could have lived with an increase up to 499 with some new features but it’s not much of an improvement.

I’ve just ordered the prior gen version from compub/select for 399. it’ll do fine for browsing and netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Also the new Ipad Pro base model gone up to 1,079...? was that from 909? hardly.

And the new iPad doesn't have Pencil 2 support. Gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Was hoping they’d slap M1 into the mini but I guess I’m not getting a new iPad now ☹️

• Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭ablelocks

i have an ipad air 4 that has a cracked screen - think i'll be getting it repaired rather than replaced now...

600 quid is nuts (for what will probably be the base model soon enough)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Refurbed 11” pro is the way to go.

having just seen the prices, i think you might be right. It's an ipad air 3 (not a 4 as per the new ipad thread) that i need to get the screen replaced on - select quoted me €280 and while i know i can get it done cheaper, i think i might just go for the refurbed 11 pro.

Believe me I’ve gone back and forth over every iPad the last few days, just settled in a refurbed 11” pro for my daughter who started college. It’s only 2 years old but still has pro motion, 120hz display, gen 2 pencil support and is 128gb.

the base model is poor in comparison, Apple have made an almighty mess of the iPad lineup, I have a 12.9 2018 pro, was thinking of upgrading but at the recent prices I’ll be sitting tight

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I'm the same, really want to upgrade my 12.9, but at the current prices i just can't justify it.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The iPad range is so confusing these days.

Do you remember when the Apple product lines were really coherent?

• Advertisement

Agreed, they have lost the run of themselves. I was gearing up to by the new base model for my daughter and ended up buying a refurbed pro… it’s all just money grabbing.. unfortunately I’m a sucker for it

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

The new Ipad 2022 is essentially Ipad Air 4 (Oct 2020) with a landscape front camera. Very little different.

I guess they will eventually phase out the 9th gen but for now its still available which goes against their previous model of phasing it out immediately once new one arrives. Presumably its because of the design change and they still want to offer headphone jack, home button, as some older people may not want to change what they are used to.

I wonder will this mean we see another old design Ipad come next year.

Very confusing lineup now for sure. Pricing the 10th Gen like an Ipad air is a a joke and they even increased the Ipad 9th gen price by 50 euro also. It was 399 and now 449e.

I agree I think refurb is the way to go if you're looking for value. I was looking forward to getting the 10th gen but I will hold off now due to the price.

I think you can still get the 9th gen at original price on Amazon!!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I don't pay attention on the day to day Apple stuff but I need a new tablet and having seen and liked the look of the new iPad, I just went to order one - that was a shock. €600 for a bog standard 64gb model? €800 for a more sensible 256gb model?

That's insane. They're pricing themselves out of the market. I'll be getting an Android

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

I agree the new ipad price is outrageous, you still have the option of the 9th gen 2021 model or possibly a refurb Ipad Pro.

Alternatively, wait until black friday / cyber monday next month for possible discounts.

particularly when it's $449 (+sales tax, depending onlocation) in the USA - that's a huge difference and it was never in that range for previous generations

€369 in currys too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

replaced an ipad air 2 ( had got screen burn or something ) also was 6-7 years old

got the new Ipad 10th gen for €599

i was debating splurging out on a pro model or even the new air

but then i was thinking i only use it for youtube / netflix , no hard app usage so wasting all the cash on the better one would have been useless to me

so i bought the Blue ipad 10th Gen and so far its lovely , small bezel around it and no button , compare to a big bezel and button on my old air 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Pulled the trigger on the iPad Pro 12.9 M2 256g on the education site.

replacing my 2017 xps 13. They support for external monitor in 16.2 was a game changer for me, I have this paired with my mx keys keyboard and Logitech master 3 on my LG 27’ display

hoping there is a deal on the Magic Keyboard on Black Friday. €420 is madness but I have heard great things about it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Picked up a pair of 9th gens in Harvey Norman for €369 each recently, €600 for the newer model is too much for what you're getting imo, especially if you're buying for kids.

Decided to treat myself to my first iPad also, was originally thinking of an 11" Pro but I'd only be using it for media consumption so that would be overkill - went with the 6th gen mini and absolutely love the thing. Got it from amazon.co.uk for €560 all in, over €100 cheaper than from Apple themselves!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Sorry but Apple Black Friday discounts are non-existent and at best you might get a €50 voucher to spend after buying at full price.

I wouldn't buy the new iPads at those crazy prices as the upgrades are minimal. Instead I would look at trying to get the previous gen as you mentioned.

Post edited by murpho999 on

i missed out on the previous ipad 11 pro refurb offer (think it was the 2nd gen)

choice now seems to be 3rd gen ipad 11 pro @ €769 or the 5th Gen Ipad Air @ €799 or possibly €710 from Argos

any thoughts / comments appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

They are ostensibly the same product. I would get the iPad Pro over the Air, if you can save €30 but I would probably go with the Air if it was €60 cheaper. The Pro will have a 120hz refresh rate which will be better for scrolling in browsers and it also has FaceID but otherwise both devices are completely overspecced for what any normal user would be using them for.

Use the comparison tool on Apple's website and you will see that there is very little difference between them. Depends how much you want to spend.

managed to get the ipad 11 pro 2nd gen 128gb today for 579 - had been keeping a daily eye on the refurb store so sorted now.

Advertisement