Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M1 Macbook Pro 16 - Discounts or wait for M2?

Options
  • 18-10-2022 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭

Hi all!

As my current XPS of over 10 years is reaching its end of life I'm considering making the move to Apple.

I'm aware that the M2 Macbook Pros are around the corner and have been considering waiting for it but, considering the M2 Air got a price hike, is there a likelihood that the M2 Pros will also get a price bump?

I don't think it's worth paying much more for what the M1 will suitably do for me. On the other hand, if there's a chance the M1 could be discounted I'd also be up for that too.

Is it worth taking the risk and waiting, or should I bite the bullet and buy an M1 before Apple removes them from the store for a more expensive M2 model?

Thank you for reading!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

New M2 MBP will likely be next month and they will likely be dearer, if only due to currency fluctuations.

Why not wait and see? Amazon sell MBP's and they will still be selling the M1 version when M2 is released. They are also cheaper than buying directly from Apple and the same warranty etc. applies.

I never buy from Apple directly unless it is a refurb. As an example, the current 14" MBP (16GB RAM 512GB SSD) is £1735 on Amazon UK which works out at c. €2,015 (my credit card has a 0% fee). Apple are charging €2,249. I'll take the €230 saving thanks for the exact same machine.

HOWEVER, Apple have the same computer on their refurb store for €1919 and which, unless it sells out, will still be available after the new one releases.

In short, you would be mad to buy a new machine directly from Apple and doubly mad to buy just before a new machine is announced.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I disagree, I have bought numerous apple products direct from apple and when issues arise outside of warranty consumer law kicks in automatically with them, you don't even need to bring it up to them, and I have yet to be charged for a hardware repair and actually I have had two replacement batteries not charged for either.

• Administrators Posts: 53,762 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't think it's likely the M1 gets discounted, it's more likely they just stop selling them. I think Apple are having serious supply issues right now with the MacBooks, I can't imagine there's a lot of stock sitting waiting to be sold.

I bought an M1 Pro 16 last month, mainly cause I expect the M2 model to be a bit more expensive. More than happy with it.

Advertisement