Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Install

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Tweeter

Thanks very much for the replies. I've heard that they won't get into your attic, so I've made it real easy for the installer. I've ran my own cable across the attic, so the installer will just need to attach their cable and pull it through. There won't be any need for them to get into the attic.

Or I don't mind if they go over the roof (which is what virgin did), so both options will be available to the installer.

It's due to be fitted tomorrow morning, so I'll let you know how it plays out when they do their pre installation inspection

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭robbie_63

I had 2 sets of kn guys out to do mine and in fairness they were very helpful, I explained where I wanted it to go at the start and they done it no problem,

One of the lads was telling me they get paid for each one they complete so they will do everything they can to get it in and working on the day

Just to follow up. The install has just been completed. Thankfully I ran the cable through the attic for them as going over the roof wasn't possible. Unlike Virgin, the cable is glass fibre so just not suitable for going over a roof (needs to be secure).

Thankfully there was no issues pulling the cable through the attic from front to back, so they didn't even need to get into the attic. Even gave me a box of cable clips so that I could tidy up the cable in the attic myself, when I get around to it.

And like they said there are certain things that can't be done but they're fully committed to working with you on the day to make sure you get your installation completed (even if it means bending the rules here and there). Very helpful and hopefully useful for anyone considering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

just to follow up - different KN guy arrived today and more than happily spliced into the cable the builder had run and got excellent quality signal in the utility so all is good, up and running. He did mention the other guy mustn’t have known what he was doing because it was a very straightforward install…

• Registered Users Posts: 24,323 ✭✭✭✭phog

If the fibre cable is resting on the floor of the attic then be careful that you don't stand or store stuff on it in the future

• Advertisement

I was aware of that alright, so they gave me a box of clips and I have it tacked overhead which is perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jhconnolly

When eir install fibre is there any digging of the drive etc ? just got gas in and had to dig some of the drive, all back to normal now, would hate to dig it again !!! I assume they use the existing copper wire conduit, but can they always use it ? what if is has sharp bends in it.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

The conduit can be broken / blocked and it's not their responsibility to fix it, or they have to engage that team at least to do it which can take time.

At least that's what my friend relayed to me (albeit via sky, but via open eir so much of a muchness). His ran under a drive that had been paved over (or cobblelock) and the conduit was blocked so they couldn't run the fibre wire into towards his house.

Now I don't know if they told him, he'd have to sort it or if they just said it would take a few weeks but he went with VM for internet instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭shutterclick

Can anyone advise or guide me with this issue?

We moved house at the beginning of the month.

In our previous house the only service available was mobile broadband. We have been with Eir for 4g mobile BB.

When we moved here I began the search for a better, more stable service.

Eir told me that FTTH was available at this address. Great, I thought.

I was going to be able to change from mobile to ftth and the bundle price was actually going to be a few cents less.

The day came for the technician to come and hook us up.

Unfortunately, on arrival, the technician said that there was going to be no way of running the line to our apartment because there is a house on the property in front of the small apartment block we are in.

No way. No how.

So I began the headache of trying to get any kind of wired connection.

Despite the fact that the other 3 apartments have fttc broadband, Eir just kept telling me that the only option coming up for my eircode was ftth.

I explained that everyone else has that connection so it must be possible, but I just kept being told that ftth was the option on the system for my eircode.

Very much a 'computer says no' situation.

I gave them my neighbours eircode, and again, computer said no.

We share a wall with the neighbour and he most certainly has fttc.

He is with Vodafone.

So, I tried Vodafone.

It was the exact same. 'Good news you can get ftth!'. I explained, again, that I cannot get ftth despite what the system says.

The location of the apartment means that running the cable is not possible according to the technician.

Again, they told me that fttc is not an option.

I don't understand. How can a service that everyone else here has not be available? How can they say it's not even available at the eircode for next door, when they absolutely do have a connection.

There is a normal copper phone line in to the house.

We are still using the Eir 4g mobile broadband but it is not stable and at times it's nearly unusable. Speeds can be as bad as 0.something at times.

When I recontacted with eir in June, I did so after checking that I would be able to change the service without any issue if there was a better connection available at a new address. I knew that we would likely be moving within the year.

They say that FTTH is a available here, but as I have explained, I have been told it isn't.

Where do I stand in terms of the contract with Eir now?

Can I end the 4g mobile broadband contract without penalty because they cannot provide the upgraded service they state is available?

Or am I stuck with this crappy connection until the contract ends?

Is mobile broadband going to be the only option?

Vodafone have super 5g speeds here but Eir 4g/5g isn't good.

I can't get past the sales or customer care people. They just keep saying I can get ftth, no matter how I explain to them that it isn't possible, the technician was here, etc

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Why did you explain to Vodafone that you can't get FTTH? You should have let VF do their own installation survey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭shutterclick

A case of not knowing better, simply.To be honest I didn't know all that is involved in getting connected.

I'm not knowledgeable about fibre connections or wiring in general.

I took the technician at his word, and assumed that if he said it couldn't be done, that it couldn't.

There is a bungalow on the property in front of where our apartment is. The guy said he wouldn't be able to run cables because of the location.

I assumed that was that.

I should have read up on what is involved with installation, but I assumed that if eir were telling me I could get FTTH, that I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Do Eir have installation fee? already consumer and getting upgraded to Fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭RobiePAX

Usually yes €100 for install. €50 for activation.

They waive it normally only on 2 year contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭rachaelworld

Hi there,

I would be grateful of any of yous could help me get some clarity here so that I am prepared for when the installation guys come.

We are due to get Eir FTTH installed in a couple of weeks. We are in an older house, mid terrace. We have been with Virgin Media for the last few years but moving to Eir FTTH as they are a lot cheaper and Virgin not offering FTTH at the moment. I had hoped they would sling a line across the roof and go in through the wall to our office at the back like Virgin had done but I've read upthread that they won't go over the roof because of the glass cable?

Our attic has been lined with flooring and panelling etc as the Landlord actually used it as an office when he lived in the house (going up and down a ladder!) and at the front of the house it has the narrow part of the eaves boxed off with a low dry walled wall and the water tank is in there, so if they wanted to go through the front into the attic it would be a tad difficult although there is a hatch to access the water tank.

Would they drill through the wall into the main bedroom? The Virgin Media guys drilled through the wall at the back for the connection into the office so I know it can be done but not sure if they will? Or should I get them to drop the cable down the front of the house and go through a hole that was previously drilled into the house for TV cable? We have a very small open plan house downstairs and the stairs are open so do you think I would have many issues with the connection upstairs? We tend to use the internet more upstairs.

Thanks a lot for your thoughts

Advertisement