Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New boiler - flue on roof. Crazy quote!! Ideal Logic 24kw

• 20-10-2022 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

My boiler needs to be replaced. I am in the process of getting quotes from various companies.

One company quoted me 5k+ (Ideal logic 24kw - 2 bed house, 6 rads, 2 towel rails) because the flue is vertical and on a 2 storey flat roof, including €800 for a cherry picker hire. Maintenance man on the estate has been on my roof using a ladder plenty of times, not like it is not accessible! Note boiler is upstairs.

They say 4 extra Hardwired Carbon Monoxide Alarms are Required as per RGII regulation plus Vertical Flue Kit & elbow + flue extension kit. CO alarms need to switch off boiler and 4 required rather than the standard one.

House 14 years old (so boiler 14 years old) hard to believe regulations have tightened so much since then, and that current set up is so 'unsafe'!

Got an online quote today for 1/2 the amount of quote #1 inc. the vertical flue, based on photos of the boiler/roof with the flue etc.

Is the 1st quote having a laugh, or should I be wary of quote #2!

Post edited by v0ldeMort on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭embracingLife

Think the first one is taking the mick.

Also cherry picker hire for 1day is way less than 800e, it's about 300e approx. 800e would be for few days /weekly rate.

There is a requirement for at least one carbon monoxide detector in the same room as the boiler but 4 hardwired is something I've not heard about before. In 2021 during Covid Gas networks replaced the gas meter at my home and the fitter asked was there a carbon monoxide detector in the room, and he looked around as he was standing at the boiler and saw the detector on the wall beside the boiler, he then said that it's requirement for a detector beside the boiler. He never said anything about 4 in other rooms or to be wired into boiler etc.

You should phone them back and ask them to send you a link /reference from the Rgi installation guidelines /regulations etc, they should have no trouble forwarding this to you....if they give you any push back etc on this then question them more as to why they advised you that.

Also there is a requirement under Fire regulations for individual Smoke and Heat alarms in separate rooms within a dwelling and its NOT based on 4 alarms, it's based on the total number of rooms including halls and cupboards where the fuse board is AND these have to be interlinked.... But by either hardwired or RF (radio frequency - ie wireless).

I'd say the 1st crowd is pulling porkies with you and mixing up the different regulations.

The 2nd crowd price sounds ok, I'd say they going to use ladder to sort out the flue as it comes out through the wall.

Installing a new boiler - gas-or oil - would be done in one day, so 2500 with vat and going up on ladders and extra costs of living now is about right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Murph85

What is the issue with the boiler?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Have they done a heat loss calculation for the property? I'm willing to bet that boiler is oversized even at its lowest output.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭v0ldeMort

It started leaking water. BG engineer came out and said it was the seals on the water tank/cylinder (not sure if thats the right term). He replaced them but with the cylinder being plastic he said it was warped and replacing the seals didn't fix the leak. This is a Vokera minute boiler 14 yrs old.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭v0ldeMort

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭monseiur

Have a chat with your BG engineer about the regulations pertaining to carbon monoxide alarms & gas boilers. I'm 90% certain that battery powered alarms will suffice - good quality ones cost €20 to €25, a 14 year old could fit them all it takes is 2 screws each and batteries. Hiring a cherry picker is taking the p*ss Get a quote for the boiler & s/s flues required and add say €1,200 for labour, that should give you a ball park figure of total cost.

A quick Google check shows an Ideal Logic S 24 L Boiler (this is 24kw) Product code 215670 cost €1,095 VAT is included

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭rightjob!

The online quote you got for half the price is definitely the quote to avoid if it’s the same job they quoted work wise.

if a flue has extensions on it and travelling through void spaces it needs a hard wired alarm and relay.It depends on how far the flue is travelling.This is an RGI regulation,regardless of what others may have done before or heard.

Get another quote and see what it comes in at.

Advertisement