Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ugly side of Ukraine joining the EU

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

i dunno, ukraine does have a pretty long border.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

OFC but your not going to get weapons into Europe as a whole they will be found. Nothing big will ever get through. Maybe a trickle of pistoles. Your not going to see organised crime gangs with tanks or RPG's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Dogs smell drugs too and no drugs ever get across any border

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Drugs in Europe tend to be produced in Europe isolated areas. Then shipped. Putting them in the back of cars usually it to divert from large shipments. No criminal gangs are making weapons and moving them around. Ireland for example it's left overs from the troubles. Nothing imported now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

bataclan attackers got their aks from Balkans. customs didn't catch them.

grenades for gang wars in Sweden and Netherlands came from balkans too.

uk has a billion dollar illegally imported cocaine industry. mostly from Netherlands.

so stuff does get through.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A reminder

If you really cannot be civil then do not post or you can expect a threadban and possible additional sanction

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

That is an interesting take that they're trying to hold them back for that reason. I could be overestimating their ability to swoop in

Holiday homes, investment. It won't be Western europeans but ones closer by. Kinda like the houses in Bulgaria people bought during the tiger

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Worker protection in the EU are pretty good, in fact the UK got rid of some of them when they left, they might be different to ukraines but there are plenty of protections so long as they don't sell off the infrastructure and have an open market to control prices they will be fine. most of irelands infrastructure is still in the hands of the government electricity water telecoms are under government Control.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

Stupid Russian

• Advertisement

But you will see them with machine guns, rifles, etc all of which can be dismantled into relatively small pieces for transportation. Then, there's all the explosives that would have been produced, and/or supplied to Ukraine.

TBH the worse factor is a large population of males who have gone through this war, been trained in various levels of brutality, and will return to a broken economy. Access to Europe means a flood of such recruits to the criminal gangs already established in Europe, and the creation of others, which is already a major problem in a variety of European countries (Italy, France, etc).

Ukraine joining the EU will have a wide range of repercussions, many of which would be negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Reminds me of the nonsense arguments on here back in February, the west can't arm Ukraine because those guns will end up in Dublin.

For the record Ukraine shouldn't get near the EU for some time, nothing to do with dangerously stupid fear mongering though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The war in Ukraine has shown that Germany is coming up strong on the outside in the great corruption race

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No, the Ukrainians should not be admitted until they satisfy the entry criteria just like anyone else. They've got particular problems with corruption. That said, I do support their joining if they can achieve this but not before. No amount of disinformation such as that on show in the OP and elsewhere here will convince me otherwise.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭hawley

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

You can arm Ukraine. Ukraine should be given weapons.

But if you think every weapon is going to be accounted for after the war, then thats just light speed naive. Of course some weapons will quietly make their way to the wrong hands, including high explosive and rocket weaponry. Theres a lot of money to be made, and theres a lot of chaos happening. Young men are going back to ruined lives, many will have excellent reasons to hide or smuggle such valuable arms.

There have been cases in Europe and the US of extremists within the military managing to remove and stockpile all manner of military weapons, this is without a war going on locally.

Why on earth would you consider it fearmongering for the same to happen in a warzone in one of europes most impoverished and super corrupt countries.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

For someone claiming nonsense, you're very partial to introducing it yourself.

In the context of the post I was responding to, what I said accurate. The problems with criminal gangs originating in Eastern Europe is a fact. Just look at Southern France, and Italy. The aspect of weaponry being transported and used by such gangs is also possible.

None of what I said is scaremongering, unless your bar for being terrified is so drastically low.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

No, his job is the President of Ukraine. Zelensky's TV show was on an oligarch's station (not that he could control who owned the station at the time), which was subsequently removed from the ownership of said oligarch and put under state control by none other than... Zelensky.

Good of you to put in a low-res comment without regard to the facts.

But if you think every weapon is going to be accounted for after the war, then thats just light speed naive

Where did I claim that? 😕

• Advertisement

It's scare mongering, there will always be extremely dangerous gangs, what is hilarious you think they wouldn't come to the EU unless they had valid visas.

Murdering and drug dealing yes, breaking immigration law? hell no we aren't monsters. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭circadian

I feel like this is going to be the most common response in a thread like this, it'll also be the most common post that has no response in return.

Yep. Calling out misinformation and pro-Russian nonsense is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

who in here claimed "the west can't arm Ukraine because those guns will end up in Dublin." 🤔

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

Ahh! More of the same introductions of claims that I didn't make. Where did I say that such gangs would or wouldn't come here because of visas? Did I even mention visas? Or breaking immigration laws?

It is utterly bizarre that you think it's okay to argue with yourself while quoting others. And no, it's still not scaremongering as I didn't seek to elicit any fear in others.. there was no attempt to enflame any passions.

Calling out disinformation is important. Your wailing pretend victimhood does not alter this.

What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Won't defend the argument but will attack anyone for daring to question it? That's more discrediting to the argument than anything.

Yep. Annoying that people feel the need to be disingenuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭monseiur

They also have massive tapped resources which may be already controlled by foreign powers or powerful people - one of Ukraine's biggest gas companies had a certain Mr. Hunter Biden on it's board of directors...his dad happens to be president of USA and the US is pumping billions in armaments and logistics into the NATO Russian war. There are motives and there are ulterior motives. Ukraine and it's people may not now or in the future be the financial beneficiaries of their countries massive gas & oil wealth.

If/when Ukraine join the EU, millions will head west to greener financial pastures as their country will be in dire poverty for at least 15 years. Their whole infrastructure will have to be rebuilt and modernized which will put severe pressures on the finances of the EU. There is a serious shortage of labour here in the EU with our younger spoiled, over educated generation unwilling to work in factories, restaurants, hospitals etc. etc. and it's only beginning, the Ukrainians will fill this gap. The majority of the younger refugees here see their long term future here or somewhere in the EU, their life is on hold, waiting for the war to end so that their husbands/partners can join them. They are educated, enterprising and not work shy so should be a major bonus to the EU (unlike some folk from sub Saharan Africa we seem to attract and who give the word refugee a bad 'name' !)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If/when Ukraine join the EU, millions will head west to greener financial pastures as their country will be in dire poverty for at least 15 years. Their whole infrastructure will have to be rebuilt and modernized which will put severe pressures on the finances of the EU. There is a serious shortage of labour here in the EU with our younger spoiled, over educated generation unwilling to work in factories, restaurants, hospitals etc. etc. and it's only beginning, the Ukrainians will fill this gap. The majority of the younger refugees here see their long term future here or somewhere in the EU, their life is on hold, waiting for the war to end so that their husbands/partners can join them. They are educated, enterprising and not work shy so should be a major bonus to the EU (unlike some folk from sub Saharan Africa we seem to attract and who give the word refugee a bad 'name' !)

LMFAO people said the same **** about Bulgaria and Romania joining. Stop it.

Advertisement