Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement ewe lambs

• 21-10-2022 6:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

Was just doing a few sums the other day here,with the current lamb and cull value it's very hard see the point of keeping a ewe lamb from your own ewes especially in a highly stocked lowland system. The past 2 years cull ewes and fat lambs in a mid season lowland system have been making €120 each on average while very good breeding hoggets are making €180..would a lad not be better taking his €240 for cull and lamb and buying a hogget over keeping a ewe lambs and eating up grass needed for other stock?..what's lads thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Jimbo789

It depends how much you value having a closed flock and knowing what you are going to be breeding from and not risking introducing problems.

Very good breeding hoggots were making e250 to e300 around here.....there would be alot of pedigree breeders around here,so swarm the market for quality hoggots

I went back keeping my own,as I found buying em,I was never entirely happy with quality/how they performed here (including one case of 4 out of one bunch 10 having bad teats)....and hard to make price of em back over there life,if they don't have the 2 lambs a year

Advertisement