Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reverse IBAN Sent To Wrong Iban ?

• 21-10-2022 9:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭

sold my car and gave the dealer the wrong iban (bank iban ), the iban i gave them is a kbc bank iban , not a personal one , got back on to the dealer and asked him to get the payment reversed , I presume this is possible ? ,

wife doesn't know yet so is divorce in my future

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭daheff

don't worry. it'll be resolved eventually. might take a few days. Somebody in KBC will return the funds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,751 ✭✭✭✭28064212

There's no way for the dealer to reverse the transfer. They need to contact the recipient and get them to do a new transfer of the sum back to them.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Tony H

the dealers account dept are contacting them to sort this out , buying a car off the dealer so hopefully should be ok , still can't believe i did this , looked at my N26 statement on my phone and assumed the first iban i saw was the one i needed .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭phormium

If your KBC ac is closed then the payment will bounce back to the account it came from, might take a few days but that's the route it takes, then the dealer can resend it again to right account. He can't reverse it as such but I suppose following it up at least means it won't linger in a holding account longer than necessary.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Banks can't go and just take money out of someone's account if it has come from a valid account and was sent to a valid account unless THEY made the mistake - they are not the arbitrators in deciding if you can legally take money from someone else without their permission. If the amount has not reached the destination account it can be recalled, if it is sent to an invalid account it will ultimately be returned and of course if the recipient agrees to the return of the amount it will come back. But otherwise it can be problematic. Hopefully it will work out for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Tony H

Sorted will be back by Monday , thanks for all the input , KBC have sent it back to dealers bank , Huge relief and just getting a slagging off the missus .

Advertisement