Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Pump in Home

Options
  • 21-10-2022 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi All,

Recently moved into a new house and have discovered that the water pump in the home is plumbed to service all taps, showers and even toilets!

I believe traditionally that water pumps would usually only be connected to showers and hot water taps

As the water pump is quite loud when running it would be nice to remove the toilets and cold taps from the water pump, especially as I work shifts and disturb everyone in the morning!

Does anyone know if this is an easy fix or will it require some complex plumbing?

I have researched a sound proofed box and pad for the pump but wondering if there might be a more appropriate solution

Thanks for you help!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭10-10-20

It's probably a complicated affair. If you're in luck then some of the piping may be in the attic, but it's generally not this way.

Do you have reasonable pressure from the taps and does the cistern fill up quickly when the pump is switched off? You also may have a positive pressure pump so it may be valved preventing flow when it's off. I'd suggest that if the flow is sufficient then you could consider putting the pump on a timer/switch and use that to mitigate the noise somewhat - that's had I do here as our flow is ok for general use off the pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭zg3409

I lived in a similar house and there was a switch in the hot press to turn it off. This would be cheaper than splitting the plumbing into two zones. We typically turned off the switch in the evening once children were in bed and only turned it on when showers needed.

With the pump switched off the road will still work etc but at lower pressure.

If you do go ahead and split the system beware toilets will take far longer to fill, running hot water to say kitchen will take longer. I would go for the switch first and see if it's the best if both world. You could also add a time switch if your shifts are regular to turn it off when everyone is asleep.

Sound proof boxes will help but you can still hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 howaya12

Thanks for getting in touch guys!

Found the switch and gave that a try and it certainly makes a difference! Very noticeable drop in pressure and would be no use for a shower unfortunately but that solution certainly does the job for the late nights!

Out of interest would anyone know the typical noise output from one of these pumps?

Some quick googling online and I've found some the output 52 decibals at 1 metre. Just wondering if that would be considered loud or quiet and then thinking maybe I've a poor standard pump installed!

With the box the sound doesn't need to be completely gone, just reduced enough to hopefully avoid disturbing the others in the house!

Advertisement