Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

exchanging german drivers license for an irish one?

• 21-10-2022 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

i live in ireland and have no plans of leaving anytime soon.

would it make sense to exchange my german license (no expiry date) for an irish one? i have the feeling that i'm paying quite a lot of money for car insurance for the car i'm driving.

will an irish license make insurance cheaper for me? license for 18 years, no penalty points, no offenses or anything. as vanilla as it gets.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Arnout

I think it depends on the insurance. My mother-in-law has lived here for 20 years and still has her German license. However one of the quotes I got when I moved here a couple of months ago would give me a 25% discount if I would exchange my Dutch license (which otherwise expires in 2028) for an Irish one. That way they can keep track of penalty points that one might acquire here (or in the UK).

Advertisement