Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Outside pipes

• 21-10-2022 1:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31

I’m not sure if this qualifies as plumbing, but I’ll try anyway. During the crazy winds last night the top of one of the pipes outside the house fell off and the top part broke.

I am attaching photos to see if anyone knows if I can get away with the pipe missing or do I need to put it back(it is at the very top of the house )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭embracingLife

It's a grille for the top of the sewerage pipe/toilet pipe - in this case it's function is a vent - to allow sewerage smell to escape.

The grille acts to prevent birds building nest in the pipe. You can live with it for few days /weeks before a bird might decide to take up residence there! It's not the end of the world if you don't get the pipe and grille in the 3rd photo refitted immediately.

It's best to get a new grille as that one is obviously broken. It slides onto the pipe usually clicks into place.

But in the first photo it's difficult to see what's wrong with the top of the pipe? Looks like the end of the pipe fitting is bend downwards? It should be facing up towards the sky & the part in your hand sits into it and the grille end of it is just above the roof edge.

Can you take another photo standing in front of the pipe and looking up, so we can see better what the end of the pipe at the roof looks like? Also zoom in on the pipe with the camera lens before taking the photo of the top of the pipe to see it better.

The other photos are good, at least we can see the full length of the pipe on the house and it looks in good condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31 groovyger

The pipe is bent and has been for quite a few years now. No one wants to climb up that high to fix it for me. I was constantly at my ex-husband to get it fixed but here I am and it’s still bent over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭embracingLife

Ok thanks probably too much for details for a Friday evening. 😁

But the pipe in the 3rd photo was that connected to the top of the pipe in the 1st photo? But now you know what that pipe is for.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Only real problem now that the bends have rotated is its proximity to that soft vent. You don't want sewer gases building up in your attic.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

I will definitely get it sorted. Thank you for all your help

• Advertisement

I zoomed in from the front of the house. The bend is more visible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

A bend like that would mean the pipe has cracked or collapsed at that point, but at the very least, you won't need to worry about a bird using it for a nest :)

Odd angles aside, it doesn't look that close to the soffit to cause an issue, but would be an easy fix for most tradesmen (who has a ladder).

Advertisement