Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does fibre install require a modern?

• 21-10-2022 5:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭

I've ordered Digiwebs 500mb ftth package. They sent me out the fritzbox modem/router today, but I won't be installed for another few weeks.

My current setup is vdsl fritzbox in bridge mode to my own mesh wifi setup. Does the new step still require the fritzbox as a modem? Or can I go straight from the wall box they install to my mesh system?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,594 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

No, you can input the required details generally into the mesh system as it's a router you are using, not the modem part.

However, I tried this with my deco mesh and it didn't do a great job. So I've the fritz doing the routing and DHCP and deco doing mesh, acting like access points. Much better speeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭JamBur

That's what I was thinking. I'll try it without the fritzbox first to see how my Nest wifi handles it.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

It may look like it's not working for you if your devices don't support VLAN. Not all mesh systems do.

Unless your Nests are the very first generation, they should support the most common VLAN for any service I've seen here in Ireland which is 10.

I've just read that Nest routers support VLANs 2,7 and 10 automatically so you may not have a problem.

I haven't direct experience of Digiweb, but they're unlikely to be doing things any differently. If it works for you without any other configuration I'd be really interested to hear it. Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭JamBur

Yeah, google rolled out automatic VLan support a while back. I'll report back in a few weeks with the results. (Install is due 3rd November, but not sure if they'll complete in first visit)

Advertisement