Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese Maple - tree or a shrub?

Options
  • 21-10-2022 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

Looking for some advice on this because I just ordered one online and I feel a bit shortchanged! I’ve always wanted one for the garden as I love the deep red tones when Autumn comes along. I was of the opinion that Japanese Maples were very much in the tree category and certainly the picture that accompanied the type I had ordered (Japanese Maple “Osakazuki”) indicates that, albeit the picture is one of a mature fully grown maple. However the one I ordered has intertwining stems and looks more shrub like in appearance. Why does it matter? Well I was specifically looking for a tree to hide an unsightly area of the garden, something with a bit of height and not just volume. Obviously I can’t return it but if it isn’t going to grow to the extent I was hoping for I might plant it in a different area of the garden and find an alternative option for the “unsightly” part.

Anyone any experience with Japanese Maples?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The RHS describes JM Osakazuki as a large shrub. Most maples are generally shrub-like - ie, several spreading branches from fairly low down, but if they only have one leader they can look like a tree. Again, according to the RHS it normally grows 2.5 to 4m both height and width, which would make it very suitable for hiding an unsightly area, unless what you are hiding is higher than maybe 8 or 10 ft. If what you are hiding is tall then the JM may not be the most suitable, but its form at the moment sounds as though it is in accordance with its eventual appearance.

I did have one that grew on one stem but it didn't get to much more than 5 -6 ft tall, I don't know what variety it was though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Put it in a sheltered area, to get the best autum colour you ideally need acidic soil, if yours isn't add some ericaceous compost into the hole and use more to mulch over the soil around it. osakazuki is happy in full sun or partial shade.

Advertisement