Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Luke O'Neill a Spoofer?

• 22-10-2022 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭

Is it just me, or is it that any time I listen to Luke O'Neill that I always end up more confused about his topic of discussion.

Was listening to Pat Kenny on newstalk the other day and he was on as a guest. He was talking about research on people's chronotypes. He starts off by saying that one's chronotype is innate, but he then goes on to say that it was as a result of man made artificial light that caused more night owls. He then goes on to say that night owls have higher levels of depression, and that if such people should reset their clocks and then they'll be happier. But then towards the end of his segment, he says that if night owls were allowed to follow their natural rhythm that they wouldn't have as high rates of diabetes and heart disease. So for night owls, is it a choice between being depressed or having heart disease?

Hearing this made me remember why I stopped listening to his 'Show me the Science' podcasts. I was once listening to his podcast on 'The Science of the Sun' and he was saying something like "and then when the sun gets lower in the sky it gets more orange...". As I heard this I was interested to hear the explanation. But he finished off that sentence by muttering "because of dust and stuff". I replayed it because I thought I heard it wrong as his voice went very quiet, but that's what he actually said! How lazy of him.

I think his newstalk podcasts might be good for the likes of a 12 year old, in order to make them appreciate that there's a lot of science going on with this thing. But not any more than that. They should come with a disclaimer "don't listen to closely as you will get confused".

Comments

Advertisement