Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No clue about fibre and smart tv

Options
  • 22-10-2022 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

I am illiterate when it comes to new technology ( to me) I am just after getting fibre broadband installed and bought a new smart tv but I have not even a clue what it can do so bear with me .The young lad has signed up to disney plus so can I just basically switch on tv and start watching .At moment I have only terestorial tv channels ,like what do i need to watch bbc,utv and ch.4 .Does the smart tv just get the wifi signal and can you watch freeview uk channels without the dish

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

You install apps on smart tv eg Disney plus, Netflix, c4. You can't use BBC, itv without a VPN.

Connect tv to wifi via menu

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Freeview is the UK equivalent of Saorview via an aerial, if you're close to the border with NI they may be available to you.

If not then a satellite receiver connected to a satellite dish will be required.

The TV might have a built-in satellite receiver, check for a screw on F-connector at the rear of the TV close to the regular aerial connector.

Post the make and model of your TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭cute geoge

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭swoofer

That tv is a beast so a good intro to new technology. The young lad will guide you and have loads of fun. Setting it up may take a while. For saorview use the aerial and tune in channels. for satellite you will need a dish and then plug in to tv, tune channels and get all uk free stuff, bbc itv, ch4. ch5 etc. Accessing the channels may take getting used.

fOR THE SMART BIT . It will have apps installed like the icons on the mobile phones, amazon, netflix, rte player(maybe) and as you said, disney +. When connected to your router you click on app it will ask for login details and remember it so next time you just click on app.

enjoy

ps to gain a bit more knowledge read this its for usa but a lot aoolies here

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-smart-tv-4140172

Advertisement