Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online tablet banking

• 22-10-2022 6:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭

I am with AIB and see that I have a micro sd slot in my tablet.

If I want to install the app on the tablet and I get a sim card for it can I get away with just topping it up once every six months to keep it in service?

I wouldn't be using the tablet for phone calls and I don't want to be switching sim cards from the phone I use all the time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Micro SD slot is for a micro SD memory card, not a sim card. If your tablet doesn't have a sim slot, then the only way to have the Internet is to connect to wifi or use an Internet tethering from the smart phone (but then why not to use a smartphone itself).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,100 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Could you just tether your phone to the tablet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭amandstu

Not sure that would work. I can tether the tablet to the phone but if the app is on the tablet then the phone will be sent a message to confirm that the tablet can login.

The message will not be sent direct to the tablet even if it is tethered to a smartphone.

The bank requires a sim card on either a phone or a tablet to complete the login process .

I want to get around the process whereby I have to have a phone as well as a tablet to login

So I can put a sim card into the tablet but I don't want to use the tablet as a phone

If I just buy a sim card with another number can I just top it up by 5 eu every six months so that I can use the tablet to login to my AIB current account ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,066 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Honestly that sounds like a lot of bother and mess just to avoid getting a confirmation request to your phone. You can use the Limited Access to perform basic functions in AIB without the need to get Mobile phone confirmation.

How is it any bother or mess to just buy a sim for the tablet and top it up by the minimum every 6 months or whatever?

Can that be done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Does the tablet have a SIM card slot as well as the SD slot?

Do AIB permit more than one mobile number to be registered to the account?

I know that BoI allow you to have their app on multiple devices but only one can be the master device.

No it is just a micro sd slot.I thought that the same slot could accommodate a sim card if required (but have never put it to the test)

Not sure if AIB allow you to register more than one mobile number - I was working on the assumption that they would not.

Edit:I missed Citrus_8 'post earlier.He says that the micro sd slot will not accommodate the sim card and so ,if that is the case it puts the matter to bed and I will have to continue to use a separate smartphone to access the full range of online banking options

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

This all depends on the model tablet and what you are trying to achieve. The SIM card slot and the Micro SD slot tend to be the same form factor, which allows the "OPTION" to the manufactur of having the slot support both, but if they do that, the tablet would also need the relevant chips and the like (GSM transmitter) to be able to use a sim card. If the tablet support 3G or 4G, i would assume this would be known to you ?

All the modern (and safe/secure) online banking portals require some form of two factor authentation. With online banking on a phone, this is normally (at least with AIB) done via the finger print sensor.

When using online banking via the website (either on a PC or a tablet) they still want the TFA to unlock the full features, hence one needs to confirm access via the smart phone, so what exactly are you trying to achieve ?

• Use the online banking APP/website on the tablet without needing the TFA via the phone.
    • Or does the APP not work on the tablet (Android I assume) with out a sim card

I assume you are getting internet access for the tablet via WiFI ?

I am fairly sure now that my tablet doesn't support a sim card.

That simplifies my position even if I wished otherwise.

I also have a smartphone so I can access my online banking ,just in not such a flexible or direct way as I might have hoped.

What I generally do is to login with the tablet ,wait for a message on the phone ,acknowledge it and proceed to use the tablet as it has the larger screen.

A sim card in the tablet would be nice but if it is not there I will just have to live with that .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

You should be able to use your card reader to authenticate login

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,066 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It takes more effort than confirming on the phone.

Advertisement